Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i also have this issue. trim is enabled and i entered fsck -fy code in single user mode. is this just a slow mpb?

2010 mbp 15 inch
2.53 intel core
8 gb ddr3 ram
os sierra 10.12.6
samsung ssd 850 pro
254 write and 266 read (black magic 3.1)
93 gb of 256 gb used on ssd
Same issue as the other person.... that is a SATA II connection Mac and that is all you are going to get.

ur2funky

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
Florida Keys
Thanks for the help. I tried a Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 PCIe card ($85) to get at least one drive faster. My EVO SSD Write went from 256 to 488mb and Read went from 270 to 492mb.

I just ran across the OWC Accelsior S PCIe adapter for $50...

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Computin...rd_wg=kLRU2&psc=1&refRID=AMJF5C8Y7621649KB0MP

I paid $85 for Velocity Solo x2... is it the same thing? Did I just lose $35? lol

https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Vel...177&sr=1-1&keywords=Apricorn+Velocity+Solo+x2

I picked up the $50 OWC to compare. Read and Write speed test were over 500MB/s - so a little faster and $35 cheaper than the Velocity.

I'm really stoked with my new (to me) 2010 Mac Pro. Thanks for all the help on here! I'm upgrading from a 2007 iMac Extreme edition. Still works great for normal surfing, but the HDD reads @ 86 MB/s compared to 1,409 MB/s for the PCIe SM591 SSD I just put in the Pro. Two more 500 MB/s SSDs in the PCIe with OWC cards. And four open SATA II bays still. I love this thing!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
it's sad we need to be THIS informed before purchase. connections? really? i'll stay with mac but will research much more.

Your laptop was from an era that SSDs where prohibitively expensive and most HDDs couldn't saturate SATA 2 speeds. There were exceptions but SATA 2 in 2010 laptops was status quo.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Just tried doing this command and it says “warning option -f is not implemented, ignoring”

What’s up with tat?

Doing fsck -fy

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
You are partway there. Now command-s boot to single user mode and enter the command below.

Code:
fsck -fy

You should see a notice at the end of the run that says "trimming unused blocks".... that TRIMS the free space on the drive and should restore your write speeds.

Try that and reboot then do a speedtest again. Let us know how it goes. :)

I tried this... but I can’t seem to do the -fy

Attachments

• B29DE1A1-F764-4C93-9505-FCEEFDCB27EE.jpeg
    B29DE1A1-F764-4C93-9505-FCEEFDCB27EE.jpeg
    556.1 KB · Views: 584

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I tried this... but I can’t seem to do the -fy
It looks like you are on APFS and I'm wondering if the fsck utility has not yet been updated to handle that.

Regardless, since Sierra you can TRIM with Disk Utility in Recovery. Just command-r boot to recovery then run First Aid and you will see it TRIM like in this screenshot.

TrimCommand.jpeg

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Reviving this thread. Any word on improving write speeds yet? I had forgotten to enable TRIM on an SSD I'd been using for several months, and I can totally tell the difference after this much use. I'm seeing the great read speeds (500MB/s+) through my OCW PCIe adapter, but write speeds are pretty bad--half that speed or less.

I tried the same tests on a newer SSD (that I normally have in my PS4pro) and get 500/500 r/w, but fsck -fy doesn't work on my normal OS drive since it's APFS. Recovery mode first aid in disk utility doesn't appear to trim free space either. Kinda frustrating to see my spinning drive matching the write speeds of a modern SSD.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Just came across this today as noticed my Mid 2012 13" MBP with a Samsung 850 Pro Evo 512GB SSD was writing really slow. Black magic had it at 11MB/s write and 500MB/s read.

Did the trim enable and single user fsck -fy before I realized about the lack of f in APFS. Anyway, even with that black magic is now 498MB/s write and 500Mb/s read so pretty happy there thanks!

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Just came across this today as noticed my Mid 2012 13" MBP with a Samsung 850 Pro Evo 512GB SSD was writing really slow. Black magic had it at 11MB/s write and 500MB/s read.

Did the trim enable and single user fsck -fy before I realized about the lack of f in APFS. Anyway, even with that black magic is now 498MB/s write and 500Mb/s read so pretty happy there thanks!
What a wonderful reminder on the benefits of TRIM. I experienced this myself with various Intel SSDs (that did not degrade in write speeds as drastically as yours, though). Just keep TRIM enabled at all time.

Best,
Magnus

Last edited:

p79alvarado

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks for the help. I tried a Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 PCIe card ($85) to get at least one drive faster. My EVO SSD Write went from 256 to 488mb and Read went from 270 to 492mb.

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Computin...rd_wg=kLRU2&psc=1&refRID=AMJF5C8Y7621649KB0MP

I paid $85 for Velocity Solo x2... is it the same thing? Did I just lose $35? lol

https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Vel...177&sr=1-1&keywords=Apricorn+Velocity+Solo+x2

i wish they made those for an MacBook pro

Tardegard

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016

sorry for reviving this thread.
wondering if this adapter can be mounted on iMac as well.....
thanks.

JLRMAC88

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Never used them yet you have no problems whatsoever telling people in here that they have more problems than other makers.

Garbage collection is not a TRIM replacement and TRIM is beneficial to all SSDs no matter what sort of garbage collection is used. The OS sends the TRIM command to the SSD to identify what data can be ignored with garbage collection. There is no on-drive technology that can replace this.

No TRIM = increased write amplification, increased heat and potentially decreased performance and drive longevity.

The fact that you have apparently not perceived any issues of your own (yet) does not mean that other's experiences in here are any less valid.
I know this thread is old, but I have a Samsung 850 pro ssd and it was fine for 1.5 years but now the write speeds are about 30mb/s. its so slow and i dont know why? I dont know what trim is? it is installed in a mid 2012 macbook 13 inch with 16gb ram running catalina. could anyone help me in 2021 :(

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
I know this thread is old, but I have a Samsung 850 pro ssd and it was fine for 1.5 years but now the write speeds are about 30mb/s. its so slow and i dont know why? I dont know what trim is? it is installed in a mid 2012 macbook 13 inch with 16gb ram running catalina. could anyone help me in 2021 :(

Without going much into detail, TRIM is an operation system level command which essentially provides that a SSD‘s flash chips face fewer erase and rewrite cycles when data is deleted and the available space newly used.

This maintains a SSD‘s write speed over time and also reduces wear caused by write operations.

When your SSD‘s write performance slows down like yours, it could be that (1) your drive is exhausted (but doubtful after 1.5 years, and the Samsung is a great drive) or that (2) exactly TRIM is not active. Note that macOS by default deactivates TRIM on non-Apple drives, so this is a likely case here.

To test for (1), download the free (for a trial period) app DriveDx, run it and post a screenshot. High numbers for reallocated sectors or high drive write values would indicate an exhausted SSD.

To test for (2), click the Apple logo on top left corner and open ‚about this mac‘, then click on ‚system information‘ and there select ‚SATA‘. You’ll find an entry for TRIM enabled, and most likely the value is ‚no‘.

If that is the case, time to activate TRIM!

First, and if you have not already done, create a backup!

Then, open the ‚Terminal‘ utility in the ‚programs->utilities‘ folder and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo trimforce enable

It’ll ask for your admin password and then whether you really want to do that. Confirm, and then TRIM will be activated and eventually, after a short time, your machine will reboot.

Check again under system information whether TRIM now is activated. If so, that’s all you have to do.

Already after a few minutes with TRIM you should see a great improvement in SSD performance.

Good luck!
Magnus

Reactions: JLRMAC88

JLRMAC88

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Without going much into detail, TRIM is an operation system level command which essentially provides that a SSD‘s flash chips face fewer erase and rewrite cycles when data is deleted and the available space newly used.

This maintains a SSD‘s write speed over time and also reduces wear caused by write operations.

When your SSD‘s write performance slows down like yours, it could be that (1) your drive is exhausted (but doubtful after 1.5 years, and the Samsung is a great drive) or that (2) exactly TRIM is not active. Note that macOS by default deactivates TRIM on non-Apple drives, so this is a likely case here.

To test for (1), download the free (for a trial period) app DriveDx, run it and post a screenshot. High numbers for reallocated sectors or high drive write values would indicate an exhausted SSD.

To test for (2), click the Apple logo on top left corner and open ‚about this mac‘, then click on ‚system information‘ and there select ‚SATA‘. You’ll find an entry for TRIM enabled, and most likely the value is ‚no‘.

If that is the case, time to activate TRIM!

First, and if you have not already done, create a backup!

Then, open the ‚Terminal‘ utility in the ‚programs->utilities‘ folder and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo trimforce enable

It’ll ask for your admin password and then whether you really want to do that. Confirm, and then TRIM will be activated and eventually, after a short time, your machine will reboot.

Check again under system information whether TRIM now is activated. If so, that’s all you have to do.

Already after a few minutes with TRIM you should see a great improvement in SSD performance.

Good luck!
Magnus
Hey thanks so much! done this and now my speeds are back up to 200-300mb, wish isnt amazing by todays standards but way better then 30MB/s so thanks alot for your help! Laptop still feels a bit sluggish but thats maybe because I just done a full shutdown so all the RAM would be cleared and so on instead of sleeping it. But thanks once again.

Just wish I had money to buy one of the nice new M1 Pro or M1 Max models :(

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Hey thanks so much! done this and now my speeds are back up to 200-300mb, wish isnt amazing by todays standards but way better then 30MB/s so thanks alot for your help! Laptop still feels a bit sluggish but thats maybe because I just done a full shutdown so all the RAM would be cleared and so on instead of sleeping it. But thanks once again.

Just wish I had money to buy one of the nice new M1 Pro or M1 Max models :(

Glad it worked for you! M1 Pro or Max, next year it will be… ;-)

Magnus

Reactions: SaSaSushi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.