Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmortum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Greetings.

Did a clean install of macOS Catalina on my Late 2017 27'' iMac and my Activity Monitor takes around four (4) seconds to launch. It was happening in 10.25.0 and still happening in 10.15.2.

If I look in console I see this:
  1. default 21:12:36.586163+0300 Activity Monitor Synchronize with Metal initialization
  2. default 21:12:39.587348+0300 Activity Monitor Can't find (Metal) name, location, locationNumber, maxTransferRate
Kind of sync, three seconds wait and then kind of error related to Metal system video software.

I did NVRAM/PRAM reset and then did clean install from network recovery. The first thing I did then was start of Activity Monitor and it still takes 4 seconds and writes same thing in logs.

I download Mojave version of Activity Monitor from my friends machine and it works just fine on Catalina so it seems like a bug in Catalina version of Activity Monitor.

Rather interesting is that two my colleagues with a laptops who upgraded to Catalina from Mojave don't have that problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this on iMac? Any ideas?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
same here, about 4 seconds on my imac; opens instantly on my 12" macbook. slightly annoying, but i haven't let it stop me from working (or opening activity monitor if needed)...

Ynk

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Same here on a Late 2012 27" iMac - Same messages showing in Console, haven't been able to resolve it.

Sisti00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
same here on imac 2019 hexacore with ssd. i have this "6 seconds problem" with preview too: every time i open a pdf the preview app freezes for 6s and the sipnning ball appears. mojave would opened the same file immediately.
i'm very disappointed and regretful for upgrade to catalina.

desmortum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
same here on imac 2019 hexacore with ssd. i have this "6 seconds problem" with preview too: every time i open a pdf the preview app freezes for 6s and the sipnning ball appears. mojave would opened the same file immediately.
i'm very disappointed and regretful for upgrade to catalina.

I think preview lag is a Dropbox issue. Go to Settings -> Extensions -> Finder and uncheck Dropbox Finder Extension. Preview and some other apps should not lag at start anymore. You won't have Dropbox sync icons on files or Finder menu items though.

Activity Monitor though is a Catalina issue.

Reactions: Sisti00

Sisti00

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I think preview lag is a Dropbox issue. Go to Settings -> Extensions -> Finder and uncheck Dropbox Finder Extension. Preview and some other apps should not lag at start anymore. You won't have Dropbox sync icons on files or Finder menu items though.

Activity Monitor though is a Catalina issue.

it worked!! now preview opens pdf files immediatly! and microsoft word too (before 15s, now 1s)!!! i have searched the solution for weeks... thank you!!!

(activity monitor problem is not solved)

Last edited:

awert_8

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Same problem of slow start of activity monitor on my imac 21.5 (2019, early)
any solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.