Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CloneWarsViewer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
Updated my 2019 Intel iMac from Monterey to Ventura in December. Aside from some light browsing, etc. hadn't used it much since the update, but have started using it more lately and am noticing slow Internet connection speeds (Zoom not working well anymore, podcast downloads slow, speed tests slower than they should be, etc.). My Internet connection is through DSL which has a modem that connects to a router and my iMac connects to the router via Wi-Fi. Prior to the update, I had been able to regularly use Zoom, etc. fine, so I would tend not to think it's a hardware issue, though it can't completely be ruled out I suppose.

My iPad also connects to the same DSL connection via Wi-Fi and doesn't seem to have any issues when used in the same room as the iMac (speed tests consistently what they should be, etc.), so I don't think the DSL connection itself or the router or the location are the issue.

Looking around, I've been seeing some others reporting issues related to Ventura and Wi-Fi, along with some suggestions for resolving the issues, but so far none of them have worked for me:
  • Toggling Wi-Fi on / off on the iMac
  • Restarting the router
  • Little Snitch: I do have Little Snitch installed, but I've tried disabling its network filtering, uninstalling it, as well as booting up into safe mode (which as I understand should avoid loading up and running extensions like Little Snitch), but none of those seemed to make a difference. Most that I saw about Little Snitch appeared to be an older version of Little Snitch in conjunction with a Ventura beta and some reported updating to the newer version (which I'm already using) of Little Snitch resolved the issue ( https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/vekp15 ). Also, it sounded like the Internet was completely out, not just slower than usual. So, I'm leaning towards Little Snitch is not the issue in my case.
  • Clearing network configuration files (the ones listed here: https://osxdaily.com/2022/11/07/fix-wi-fi-internet-connection-problems-in-macos-ventura/)
  • Flushing DNS cache
  • Adding additional DNS servers (i.e., 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1)
  • Disabling AWDL interface (used the individual command, as opposed to the scripts, at: https://www.meter.com/mac-osx-awdl-psa, awdl0 seems to periodically be automatically reactivated as when I run ifconfig at a later point I see it listed as "active")
  • Disabling AirDrop
  • Some suggested disabling Bluetooth, but I'm using Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard, so I can't do that and don't have wired peripherals handy to try.

From what I saw, it sounded like Ventura 13.1 was suppose to fix some Wi-Fi issues (https://www.meter.com/mac-osx-awdl-psa), but Ventura 13.1 is what I had been running. Updated to Ventura 13.2 today hoping it might fix the issues, but doesn't appear to.

Curiously, connecting to the Internet via my iPhone's hotspot when plugged into the iMac via USB cable (both when the iMac's Wi-Fi is turned off and is turned on), there doesn't seem to be any connectivity issues through the hotspot. So this makes me think it's something Wi-Fi specific.

Anyone else running into issues like this? Any ideas for other things I could check or try?

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
My WiFi does not work at my house until I turn off “limit IP address tracking” in the specific WiFi settings because I have a number of hardware dns and network IPS systems which seem to prevent DNS resolution when this setting is on (which of course it’s on my default, and randomly turns itself back on. thanks apple)

See if you can turn that off.

Also try turning off ‘Private WiFi address’ also. Just to see.

NastiyaaGor

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Hey! problem Solved
I updated my iMac 2020 to Ventura 13.2

one thing that I should have done is go to Settings - Network and turn off filters. That*s it
Have fun with the fast Wifi!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.