Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VK.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

just bought new MacBook 15'' 10days ago. Excellent machine, except the WI-FI, which sucks strongly. My old MacBook Pro(2011) continues to download data at regular 10Mb/s, and my new computer reaches maximum 2,2Mb/s download speed.

Any solutions?

Some notes , that matters :

* router is COMTREND and uses only 2.4GHz
* switching on/off bluetooth makes any different
* Connecting/disconnecting USB3 devices makes any different
* i'm using latest El Capitano OS, that came already with new machine.

some things that i already tried :

changing channel inside router settings.(googled this somewhere)
restarting router and MacBook
Configure IPv6 auto - to local

anybody?

Vygis

Last edited:

Extreemwisse

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2016
Hi,

just bought new MacBook 15'' 10days ago. Excellent machine, except the WI-FI, which sucks strongly. My old MacBook Pro(2011) continues to download data at regular 10Mb/s, and my new computer reaches maximum 2,2Mb/s download speed.

Any solutions?

Some notes , that matters :

* router is quite new and uses 5GHz
* switching on/off bluetooth makes any different
* Connecting/disconnecting USB3 devices makes any different
* i'm using latest El Capitano OS, that came already with new machine.

some things that i already tried :

changing channel inside router settings.(googled this somewhere)
restarting router and MacBook
Configure IPv6 auto - to local

anybody?

Vygis

The latest 2015 15" model gets shipped with yosimite and not el capitan. Are you sure you are up-to-date?

Is your router capable of doing the other Ghz band, other than 5Ghz? If so, you might wanna try that.

Also, if your phone is capable of doing a ''personal hot spot'' thingy, try that and see if you get better/different results.

If your mac is fully up-to-date I'd say this is related to your router and/or the ability to pick up the signal without distortion from other sources, hence try my suggestions.

Cheers

VK.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Are you using the router that your internet provider gave you, or did you buy something yourself? What is the make and model?

The router is from internet provider, COMTREND model WAP-5813n.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I personally always make sure my provider's modem/router is bridged to my own router and reserve specfic IP addresses to all my devices.

I also make sure that the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs are unique from each other. Otherwise you might have your device favoring be stuck on 2.4Ghz and experience much slower speeds.

VK.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
The latest 2015 15" model gets shipped with yosimite and not el capitan. Are you sure you are up-to-date?

Is your router capable of doing the other Ghz band, other than 5Ghz? If so, you might wanna try that.

Also, if your phone is capable of doing a ''personal hot spot'' thingy, try that and see if you get better/different results.

If your mac is fully up-to-date I'd say this is related to your router and/or the ability to pick up the signal without distortion from other sources, hence try my suggestions.

Cheers

Cheers

I'm sorry, but i fooled myself in first place. My router is 2.4Ghz with no other options. Is here the problem? and why does the older MacBook continues to download at full speed at the same networks?

I live in Lithuania and bought my computer from official Apple distributor 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it came with El Capitan.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I personally always make sure my provider's modem/router is bridged to my own router and reserve specfic IP addresses to all my devices.

I also make sure that the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs are unique from each other. Otherwise you might have your device favoring be stuck on 2.4Ghz and experience much slower speeds.
Yep, exactly what I do as well.

After futzing around with the internet provider's built-in wifi, I tried a second hand A-brand router, and finally I broke down and got an Airport Express and put the modem in bridge modem.

Voila no more problems.
[doublepost=1452284218][/doublepost]
and why does the older MacBook continues to download at full speed at the same networks?
Yup, I had the same problem. But the chipsets as well as the antenna designs change every now and then. And what used to work great, will perhaps no longer work as well....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.