Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeblaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
I have an iPhone 6 - I replaced my battery a little more than a year ago (Oct 26, 2016) at the local Apple Store....so the battery is relatively new....I have been experiencing slow downs since updating to ios 11.1. I don't think it is as much an issue with the battery as bugs in the OS or the OS deliberately designed to run slower on older phones.

Issues include:
1.) messaging takes a long time to load
2.) phone app slow
3.) e-mail slow to load

Often times I see a white or blank screen for many, many seconds until the app finally loads.

Since my battery has already been replaced....I have a hard time believing this is simply a battery issue.
I love Apple and I love my iPhone....I just don't believe the messaging surrounding this issue.

Reactions: jpn

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Most likely just the OS. The latest OS is designed for the newer hardware which has more power. My iPhone 4 took a heavy hit only with iOS 5. iOS 6 crippled it. iOS 7 rendered it unusable.

Users have been complaining about OS updates slowing the device down since the 3G. The only thing that could definitively tell you if your iPhone is throttled would be by running Geekbench. If the numbers are consistent with other benchmarks, it’s purely software.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have an iPhone 6 - I replaced my battery a little more than a year ago (Oct 26, 2016) at the local Apple Store....so the battery is relatively new....I have been experiencing slow downs since updating to ios 11.1. I don't think it is as much an issue with the battery as bugs in the OS or the OS deliberately designed to run slower on older phones.

Issues include:
2.) phone app slow
3.) e-mail slow to load

Often times I see a white or blank screen for many, many seconds until the app finally loads.

Since my battery has already been replaced....I have a hard time believing this is simply a battery issue.
I love Apple and I love my iPhone....I just don't believe the messaging surrounding this issue.
Old hardware. iPhone 5S was the iPhone 6 equal. 1gb of ram doomed it to a quick end. The iPhone 6S was the phone the 6 should of been...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Issues include:
2.) phone app slow
3.) e-mail slow to load

Have you tried restoring as new?

Reactions: jhuynh

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
I’m keeping my launch day iPhone 6 Plus on 10.3.3 . Although it has the throttling software on it I’m not seeing any problems with it with day to day usage and get around 8hrs usage per charge. Apps still launch straight away and scrolling seems smooth. Trust me if the thing was lagging I wouldn’t be able to tolerate it.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014

Issues include:
2.) phone app slow
3.) e-mail slow to load

I have an iPhone 6s that just turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago and I am plagued by the slowing down. There are issues with the 6,6+,6s,6s+ batteries and have been for a few years now, I can almost guarantee that yet another battery replacement will increase performance of the phone.

Also my battery wear level sits at 87% after a year, so in my case I would have to replace the battery yearly to keep up performance.

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
My general rule is only updating to one version higher than what came with the device originally. Since ios 10 came with my iphone 7, ios 11 will be the last update I will install on it.
A good idea in theory. Unfortunately if you ever have to restore your phone you cannot restore to anything but the latest iOS release. I find it frustrating that Apple allows Macs to be restore to the OS version that it shipped with but with iOS devices no such ability exists.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Well that's interesting.

I was just looking at the History tab in Battery Life on my iPhone 7. I always do backup/restore when I upgrade devices and per the app, it looks like my launch iPhone 6 battery was significantly degraded by the time I traded it in: 747/1751 mAh (302 cycles). It was at 15% wear as of July 2016 (284 cycles) but it degraded quite quickly during those last 3 months. Alas, performance on the iPhone 6 was very similar to the 5s that it wasn't worth spending $79 on a battery replacement. I shudder to imagine what performance would've been like on that device on iOS 10.2 and 11.

Seriously though, given most phone contracts and installment plans are 2 years and I believe that's even the minimum warranty period in EU, Apple really should make 2 years the minimum useful life for battery design and capacity.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Well that's interesting.

I was just looking at the History tab in Battery Life on my iPhone 7. I always do backup/restore when I upgrade devices and per the app, it looks like my launch iPhone 6 battery was significantly degraded by the time I traded it in: 747/1751 mAh (302 cycles). It was at 15% wear as of July 2016 (284 cycles) but it degraded quite quickly during those last 3 months. Alas, performance on the iPhone 6 was very similar to the 5s that it wasn't worth spending $79 on a battery replacement. I shudder to imagine what performance would've been like on that device on iOS 10.2 and 11.

Seriously though, given most phone contracts and installment plans are 2 years and I believe that's even the minimum warranty period in EU, Apple really should make 2 years the minimum useful life for battery design and capacity.

Your devices has the lowest charge cycle but yet degraded so much. What are your battery habits? Are you a power user? Fast charging using iPad adapter? I speculate that heat degraded your battery. Apple guarantees 80% after 500 charge cycle within the year. My iPhone 7 had only 8% degraded at 756 cycle after I sold it for the X. The problem with 2 years for useful battery life is not within reason since battery technology itself chemically aged depending on use, charge cycle, and heat exposure until its improved. If you were to compare us with battery, it is similar concept as we age with relation to average life expectancy and battery average life. If Apple stuff a bigger battery like Android, it will last a bit longer.

Last edited:

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Why do people constantly say that charging with an iPad charger harms the battery? It categorically doesn't and shows a lack of understanding of how charging works.

The phone determines the power it draws from the charger, not the other way round. The supplied phone charger charges the phone slower as it is a 5w 1ah charger. The iPad charger is a 12w 2.4ah charger.

So the 5w charger never allows the phone to draw the max power that it wants. Whereas the iPad charger does (hence the quicker charge). BUT it is not pumping in 2.4ah unabated. It just means the phone will be able to draw a charge up to 2.4ah rather than 1ah. Although I think the max is 1.6ah, i'd have to check.

Once the phone goes past 50% the charge rate slows down . Once it hits 80% it's slower again and then when it hits 100% it stops drawing power (even if plugged in). If you think this isn't true connect your phone to the power through a power meter and watch it reduce the power draw at 50 & 80%

The easiest way to understand this is think of your lights at home. They are constantly connected to the power in your home. But they don't draw any until you switch them on. Power management in the phone works the same way. It takes the power it needs when it needs it.

To put another way. I had my 7 plus from launch when I got my X in Dec. In 14 mths I had 392 charge cycles on it, the vast majority with an iPad charger and an Anker 24w 2.4a charger and always left on charge overnight. It's health was at 93% according to coconut battery.

It's not what you charge with it's your use that determines the battery health. Eg intensive tasks that drain the power quickly, overheating the battery etc.

I've charged my X with an iPad Charger or the 18w USB-C to Lighting charger since i got it. This is the current health...

dcb9ec989817796eae3c9670bbb3b980.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
My general rule is only updating to one version higher than what came with the device originally. Since ios 10 came with my iphone 7, ios 11 will be the last update I will install on it.

It’s taken a long time to figure this out (my first iPhone was a 3G) but I’m with you on this.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Remember replacing the battery doesn't give you a new phone or update your specs. Even an "unthrottled" iPhone 6 is still near-4-year-old technology, built with the iOS 8 platform in mind - so it's still not going to magically make iOS 11 blazing on it.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Your devices has the lowest charge cycle but yet degraded so much. What are your battery habits? Are you a power user? Fast charging using iPad adapter? I speculate that heat degraded your battery. Apple guarantees 80% after 500 charge cycle within the year. My iPhone 7 had only 8% degraded at 756 cycle after I sold it for the X. The problem with 2 years for useful battery life is not within reason since battery technology itself chemically aged depending on use, charge cycle, and heat exposure until its improved. If you were to compare us with battery, it is similar concept as we age with relation to average life expectancy and battery average life. If Apple stuff a bigger battery like Android, it will last a bit longer.
Note, I have no idea how accurate the data from the Battery Life app is. Those numbers probably cannot be compared directly to data from coconutBattery.

I'd say my iPhone usage is pretty moderate. Safari, email, ebooks and some light games (3-match puzzles, sudoku, etc). Granted, I do have Tile key finder. My usage and charging habits during the last 3 months I had the iPhone 6 were just the same as those first 21 months I had it where it only degraded by 15%.

And as you mentioned, Apple warranties the battery for 80% after 500 charge cycles for one (1) year. My iPhone 6 met that. Apple just didn't say anything about two (2) years.

Yes, battery degradation is inevitable. However, a slightly thicker phone using higher capacity batteries should help mitigate that. Another is to lower power consumption so it can avoid deep discharge states or use less cycles. With similar usage as my iPhone 6 (nothing really CPU or GPU heavy), my iPhone 7 is currently at 97% health according to Battery Life after 15 months of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.