Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I installed Tiger last weekend and it worked great for about a day, but now I'm getting a ton of beachballs. I've repaired permissions and am not sure what else to try. Probably the most annoying thing is when using AIM as I'm typing the letters aren't showing up in real time, but rather they all show up 2-3 seconds later.

Any ideas?

allison.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
grapes911 said:
What type of install did you do? If you did anything other than a Clean Install, I'd format the drive and reinstall.
Sometimes I wonder why Apple doesn't just do away with upgrade installs. It causes so many headaches for both the end user and Apple. I always do a clean install (erase and install) on major OS revisions, and I never have the problems many folks report here at MR.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
In case you're unsure, this type of stuff is not normal... not something that would happen just from a new install. Not to be a pessimist, but something's wrong, and a clean install is probably the best option (but backup first!!!!)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Just by chance, do you have Virex running? If so, that's a problem. You have to completely uninstall it and reboot. There are other threads on MR with more details. Basically, any AV apps are incompatible with Tiger at the moment.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I didn't do the clean install when I updated, I just did the upgrade.

The only stuff I use one a regular basis, and in the last week has been Firefox, Mail, iCal, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Azureus, Skype, and Photoshop.

I'm thinking I'll just do the clean install, I've never done anything like that before though. I can use my ipod as a backup drive to load all my files, songs, pics onto right? Any other tips on how to make this as smooth a transition as possible?

Thanks for the advice,

allison.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
allisonv7 said:
I'm thinking I'll just do the clean install, I've never done anything like that before though. I can use my ipod as a backup drive to load all my files, songs, pics onto right? Any other tips on how to make this as smooth a transition as possible?

Doing a clean install is almost like doing an update. You'll be fine. The iPod is a great backup drive, just double check to make sure you put everything on it (apps, documents, mail, address book, etc.)

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
For the apps to be usuable what files do I need to move over with them? Just what's in the Applications folder? or do I need to move over some folders with info too (like on Windows)?

allison.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
allisonv7 said:
For the apps to be usuable what files do I need to move over with them? Just what's in the Applications folder? or do I need to move over some folders with info too (like on Windows)?

allison.

It depends. If you installed the app by just dragging it to the apps folder (ie firefox, mplayer), you can just drag that to your ipod. If its something with an installer (ie photoshop) it would be easier just to reinstall it from the disk.

Remember, you don't have to back up programs that come with the OS, like Mail. You may want to create a backup of you Mail folders though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.