Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanEM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hey guys,

So the other day I was upgrading the ram on my mid-2009 Macbook Pro and when I removed the back panel I decided to give it a good cleaning using a can of compressed air. After the cleanup and right before reassembling the aluminum housing I noticed a small piece of metal on my desk close to the laptop.

PIC 1: http://flic.kr/p/agDwTT

PIC 2: http://flic.kr/p/agGjL1

I couldn't figure out if this was part of the macbook or not. I thought maybe I had somehow blown it out of the case while cleaning with the dust buster. I could be wrong though because I have been repairing a bunch of stuff lately.

Does anyone recognize this piece?

Thanks

Last edited:

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I don't recognize that as being a piece of your MacBook Pro, and I've taken a lot of them apart and put them back together. I'm not saying it's definitely not, as I can't say I know absolutely everything about every machine, but it's not ringing a bell, and to me, that means there's an exceptionally good chance it didn't come from your laptop.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
What all did you remove to change your ram? That peice, if in your laptop is a gaurd to cover and align wires, and would have been screwed down.

ryanEM3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
I don't recognize that as being a piece of your MacBook Pro, and I've taken a lot of them apart and put them back together. I'm not saying it's definitely not, as I can't say I know absolutely everything about every machine, but it's not ringing a bell, and to me, that means there's an exceptionally good chance it didn't come from your laptop.

Thanks for the reply.

I will look again this week when I am changing my hard drive but I think you may be right.

----------

What all did you remove to change your ram? That peice, if in your laptop is a gaurd to cover and align wires, and would have been screwed down.

I only removed 10 screws on the back of the laptop that hold the back panel in place. I didn't unscrew anything inside.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I only removed 10 screws on the back of the laptop that hold the back panel in place. I didn't unscrew anything inside.

Then you can probably be sure it's not from your MBP. Doesn't look familiar to me either, I've taken apart most of my MBP down to removing the logic board.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If you've never seen that part before, and it wasn't on the table before opening your MBP, the only conclusion is that it came from inside the laptop. That doesn't mean it was part of the laptop, especially if others have not seen anything like it in an MBP. Maybe it somehow got inside the MBP during assembly. To me it looks more like something you might find in a larger machine such as an iMac, or even a Mac Pro.

If you're really curious about it, you could post the pics to the iMac and Mac Pro forums to see if anyone recognizes it.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
That wouldnt probably be from a MBP.
I dont know how you would get that just from replacing a RAM lol
dont worry about it man, probably some left over from other electronic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.