Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I've had my iPad since Thursday and have noticed small scratches on the screen (can feel them with my nail)

All I've done is clean my screen with a screen cleaner cloth?????

Anyone else had this? I don't really want to have a screen protector as I generally don't like them very much!

It's also kept in the apple case

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
I've had my iPad since Thursday and have noticed small scratches on the screen (can feel them with my nail)

All I've done is clean my screen with a screen cleaner cloth?????

Anyone else had this? I don't really want to have a screen protector as I generally don't like them very much!

It's also kept in the apple case

Well i'm not sure if it was originally like that or you could have accidentally damaged it in some way.

Have you kept it in a bag when travelling and maybe the apple case swung open or something like that?

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
I had my iPad for about a month when I noticed a few small scratches on my screen. I took care of my iPad very carefully so I'm not sure how they got there.. Needless to say I bought a screen protector the next day and although it doesn't feel as nice as the naked screen, I still prefer it to having more scratches.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Thanks mate, no chance it's been opened in a bag or anything as it's never left my house. It gets the front of the cover closed as you would then is sat on it's back on a shelf :confused:

Weird..... Surely a soft screen cloth wouldn't scratch it would it?

Their not massively noticeable when in use but it's
Sad to clean it off and see some marks on it

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
There's always a chance that something minute but scratchy has gotten onto the inside flap of the case and scratched the screen whilst it's been sitting in the case. A nasty thought I know but sadly possible.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
As with car paint, most scratches (especially small ones) happen while cleaning the paint. Dirt trapped in a rag or towel scratches more paint than anything else the owner does.

The same is likely true with your iPad. I would bet you scratched it while cleaning it.
Either a piece of dirt/dust/sand/grit was on the screen and you dragged it across with the rag or you had it already on the rag itself.

To prevent this as much as possible, a very very lightly damp micro fibre cloth wiped lightly on the screen followed by a clean, dry micro cloth fiber is the best bet to avoid scratches caused by cleaning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.