Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
Maybe I have been reading this forum to much but the first thing I checked for when my new MacBook came today was the scratch below the speaker . I looked it wasn't there but a little lower there is a small spec . Barely noticeable ? Should I keep it , exchange? Try to get free Apple care or a gift card ? I don't think it's ok that a laptop this expensive is that . It is beautiful and great . I'm just torn
[doublepost=1482191877][/doublepost]Here is a picture

Attachments

• 50388241183__32854C45-C715-4F2B-8166-0D9A781C1F18.JPG
    50388241183__32854C45-C715-4F2B-8166-0D9A781C1F18.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 798

Carilyn

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I kept mine with a bigger scratch than that. But it's a personal choice. If it's going to bug you constantly than maybe consider returning. It took over a month to get mine delivered so the scratch is a small annoyance I could live with at that point.

enthawizeguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
North Hollywood, CA
I kept mine with a bigger scratch than that. But it's a personal choice. If it's going to bug you constantly than maybe consider returning. It took over a month to get mine delivered so the scratch is a small annoyance I could live with at that point.

I waited 2 months I'm more worried about resale or that it will get bigger

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Maybe I have been reading this forum to much but the first thing I checked for when my new MacBook came today was the scratch below the speaker . I looked it wasn't there but a little lower there is a small spec . Barely noticeable ? Should I keep it , exchange? Try to get free Apple care or a gift card ? I don't think it's ok that a laptop this expensive is that . It is beautiful and great . I'm just torn

If it were me, I'd try and get a replacement. But it depends, is it a mission critical machine that you can't wait for? If that's the case, returning it doesn't seem like the greatest option. If not, it's not what you were promised when you bought it, and it's going to reduce resale value. If you were given the option to buy one with or without the speck for the same price, would you choose the one with? No? Then I don't think it's acceptable this way either.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Are you OCD? If so return it as you will always see it and it will always bother you if you don't..

Me? OCD and it would be going back! LOL

creamz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2015
I think that's the reason why getting a silver will be easier on the mind. Mine had a speck too but it only becomes noticeable with my phone flashlight.

Reactions: enthawizeguy

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
You can't be serious. How did you find that, with a magnifying glass? You can barely see it. This has be to an OCD phenomena.

I have read so many of these threads with a scratch or blemished laptop going back, no wonder they charge so much for them. Selling off perfectly fine returned items at a discount must be hitting Apple's bottom line. Crazy.
[doublepost=1482219321][/doublepost]
I waited 2 months I'm more worried about resale or that it will get bigger

How in the world could a speck like that get bigger? No disrespect but I am trying to figure out your reasoning for being so extremely picky. I know it was an expensive item, but this seems over the top to me.

As far as resale, I have purchased many used items. Exactly none have ever been flawless. Besides it's a portable computer. Unless it is going to sit on a desk it's whole life, how are you going to prevent a minor scratch or blemish?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The ones with a scratch below the speaker grill I think are worth returning if it bothers someone. The blemish on yours seems extremely small though. Keep in mind the one that replaces the one you have now could be much worse than the one you have now.

Reactions: enthawizeguy

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
HAHA, you can't unsee it now, and it'll be like a bright shining light in your face every time you open the laptop. If it was a $299 ASUS I'd say keep it, but for a $2000-4000 laptop, hell no. It should be perfect. If you bought a car and it had a paint chip when they delivered it, would you tolerate that? No. It's not a toothbrush where you're going to use it for a month and toss it after having spent $2

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I honestly can't see what you're talking about from the photo you posted.

Edit: Just read your post more carefully and took a close look.... that little dot? Return it for that? Seriously? Chances are you'll make a bigger scratch after using it for a year. And does this honestly bother you? And yes, I'm aware it's a $3000 computer and everything, my question still stands: seriously?

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
If that spot bothers you, and I mean seriously bothers you, then you should seek professional help and psychological counseling.

That being said, I wouldn't have ever noticed that. You will do something way worse to it in the next month that will make you forget about that. Trust me.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
I think when people read threads on sites like this, we start looking for issues and pick up on things and want things a certain way. With one of my iPhones I kept thinking everyone I switched for had the same screen issue. What I realized, is there was a change in the screen for that model and it wasn't a problem. I have read posts about scratchs,graphic problems and worried about the one I ordered. When it came I started looking to see if it had scratchs, it didn't have any. But I don't know if I would worry about a speck, the replacement one might have worse. Apple gets concerned and question you after so many returns, they did on my iPhone. Be careful about rushing into returning it over a speck.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

If it were me I'd replace. My late 2013 doesn't even have that on the trackpad and I haven't even been THAT careful with it.

kb3tzt

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2016
HAHA, you can't unsee it now, and it'll be like a bright shining light in your face every time you open the laptop. If it was a $299 ASUS I'd say keep it, but for a $2000-4000 laptop, hell no. It should be perfect. If you bought a car and it had a paint chip when they delivered it, would you tolerate that? No. It's not a toothbrush where you're going to use it for a month and toss it after having spent $2
actually ive had 40k+ dollar cars delivered with a scratch or chip, and have taken them home. did the fix myself, as you chance the dealer making a bigger mess than whats its worth. my current suv has metal chunks bonded to the roof and painted over. not worth the risk of the car being repainted. And yes, ive had 14 new vehicles to date. get a grey crayon that closely matches the dang thing and fill it in and be done with it. life is too short to worry about crap like this.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
actually ive had 40k+ dollar cars delivered with a scratch or chip, and have taken them home. did the fix myself, as you chance the dealer making a bigger mess than whats its worth. my current suv has metal chunks bonded to the roof and painted over. not worth the risk of the car being repainted. And yes, ive had 14 new vehicles to date. get a grey crayon that closely matches the dang thing and fill it in and be done with it. life is too short to worry about crap like this.

That's all fine and good, but you're a hypocrite....

"After over a month of hassles, rude customer service and 2 different 2016 13 mbp one with and one without touch bar , I've decided to resort back to my sons old 2015 rmbp base model. I finally get the issues solved to a tolerable degree. this is what I've been experiencing, and may not even come close to the joy of ownership other people are having."

Thanks for playing. Welcome to MacRumors by the way...

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
You've paid a lot of money for that thing of course return it if isn't flawless.

Delivering a new product with a scratch doesn't matter how small is not acceptable.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012

Tried windex on paper towel?

elsadso

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016

I would return it or at least try to get a compensation. Once I saw something like that, it will always bug me. Plus, you will have to deal with the risk of a lower resale price. When I returned mine for a scratch on the case, they offered me to keep the MacBook until the replacement arrives. Btw: From my point of view it seems ridiculous not to return it because a new one might have an even bigger plex.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It will no doubt annoy you until the first scratch you add to the laptop, after that the OCD goes away , with me anyway

olliedoogin

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I would return it or at least try to get a compensation. Once I saw something like that, it will always bug me. Plus, you will have to deal with the risk of a lower resale price. When I returned mine for a scratch on the case, they offered me to keep the MacBook until the replacement arrives. Btw: From my point of view it seems ridiculous not to return it because a new one might have an even bigger plex.

I done the same. Found the same mark under the speaker. Rang Apple who said they will let me hold onto my laptop until my new one is sent out. Called them on 26/12/16. New laptop due to arrive 10/01/17. Just one question. How did you go about shipping your original laptop back to Apple?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the laptop is working as you expect, I'd keep it.

I'm sure your laptop will get some other marks with usage, and the mark in the picture is not really noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.