Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So after this weeks competition there seems to be a little (pun intended) for a Macro thread.
So thought I'd start it. It might run and run or it might just stay small!

So lets through in a few rules.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.
Also include any PP work (Focus stacking etc).

*And to keep the GAS team happy let us know what you shot with. Macro lens, Tubes, flash etc.

So here's mine to kick off.
_DSC1176 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Shot on some white paper with a D750 and 105mm Macro lens after I found him dead in the garden. Lighting was from a Nikon R1C1 Macro speed light set.

Shutter 1/60th
Aperture F 45
ISO 500

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Stamen with pollen.

_MG_8191-X2.jpg

Shot whilst on the plant, rather than bringing it inside to shoot it. Handheld with no image stabilisation on my macro lens. A speedlite was used to help freeze it and extension tubes were in place when this was taken.

This is something I want to revisit whilst trying focus stacking on it, which would definitely require bringing one inside.

CAMERA Canon EOS 6D
LENS Tamron 90mm f/2.8
ISO 100
FOCAL LENGTH 90.0 mm
APERTURE f/10
EXPOSURE TIME 0.008s (1/125)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Amazingly , it was quite alive , and cooperative . The flash didn't seem to bother it , and whenever it took off it came back to within a foot or two of where it started . Maybe it was just feeling photogenic , like Alex's fly in the last contest , but I was slowly able to get right on top of it . IIRC it was taken at 1:1 or real close . The crop sensor on the 7D2 helped a lot with the magnification , too . And sometimes you just get lucky .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Amazingly , it was quite alive , and cooperative . The flash didn't seem to bother it , and whenever it took off it came back to within a foot or two of where it started . Maybe it was just feeling photogenic , like Alex's fly in the last contest , but I was slowly able to get right on top of it . IIRC it was taken at 1:1 or real close . The crop sensor on the 7D2 helped a lot with the magnification , too . And sometimes you just get lucky .
Very impressive. It's nice to get lucky. Like finding a dead bee in the garden.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some great shots on here (as I knew there would be).

Here's an older one of mine. I was on the edge of a field looking to photograph landscapes. Saw this little bug on the grass, and he was kind enough to wait for me to get my macro lens out set up a tripod and generally hang around for a good while.

_DSC1736 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
D750
105mm Macro lens
f6.3
1/200th
ISO100

Natural lighting in this one and manual focus. I took a load of shots as I'm not the best at manual focusing and there was a light breeze.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
So ..... there's these things that have decided to take up residence on some floating plants in one of my aquariums . Don't really want them there , but they don't seem to bother anything . Anyway , this morning I decided to try to get some pix of them and see what they really look like . Used my 5D2 and an MP-E set to between 1X and 2X to get the picture . Cropped a bit . Hand held at f8 , 1/90 , ISO 5000 . Some noise reduction via Dfine . The biggest bugs are MAYBE 1mm.

aphid2crop1024.jpg
[/URL]

Reactions: AppleKarma

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
So ..... there's these things that have decided to take up residence on some floating plants in one of my aquariums . Don't really want them there , but they don't seem to bother anything . Anyway , this morning I decided to try to get some pix of them and see what they really look like . Used my 5D2 and an MP-E set to between 1X and 2X to get the picture . Cropped a bit . Hand held at f8 , 1/90 , ISO 5000 . Some noise reduction via Dfine . The biggest bugs are MAYBE 1mm.

aphid2crop1024.jpg
[/URL]
Greenfly aphids; you'll be getting holes in your plants soon:)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Thanks ... no holes yet , but a bit of yellowing . Can't really use any bug killer on them , so I'll try to wash them into oblivion this weekend .

Reactions: Hughmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.