Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiogaga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015
Do you think we’ll ever see another iPhone with a 4 inch screen like the original Se?
I wish they would keep one in their line-up.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
As an old SE lover and user who desperately wishes for an updated flagship in an SE-sized, full-screen iPhone, the answer is no. We MIGHT, however, get a folding or rollout phone that is closer to the size of the old SE one day, but it would be thicker, IMHO.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
How far into the future do you want to peer? I think the near-term answer would be no. The fact that the new SE has a larger display than the previous SE is a good hint.

Overall, users seem to prefer larger displays, even though there are certainly those who would line up for a smaller model if it was available. Not only can larger displays be easier to read, but touch actions don't have to be as precise. Part of the point of edge-to-edge displays is to maximize display size while minimizing physical dimensions.

Overall, if one is willing/able to deal with the larger physical size one gets greater ease of use. Basically, a trend back towards smaller size means a significant number of users has tired of the larger physical size and are willing to trade that for usability, and/or there are some improvements in smaller-device usability (UI changes, etc.). Folding displays has been one attempt at reducing physical dimensions while maintaining or expanding display size... so far that approach has had problems, but who knows what the future brings?

So in 5 years, who knows?

Reactions: compwiz1202

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you think we’ll ever see another iPhone with a 4 inch screen like the original Se?
I wish they would keep one in their line-up.
LOL!

The norm for questions like this used to be based off the size of the iPhone 4/4s. Now it's based off the size of the 5/5s/SE. Apple's already moved you toward a bigger size.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
LOL!

The norm for questions like this used to be based off the size of the iPhone 4/4s. Now it's based off the size of the 5/5s/SE. Apple's already moved you toward a bigger size.

Weren't those the days when Apple was being accused of stubbornly resisting the trend towards larger displays?

I think larger sizes was one of those irresistible forces, and Apple, stubborn as they can be, is not an entirely immovable object. However, Apple being Apple, they aren't going to offer "too many" model/size choices. If most people want larger, than smaller is likely to go away altogether.

I think in part the trend towards larger displays reflects the increased importance/usage of smartphones in most people's lives. Things that gain in personal importance often justify a larger physical space. A smaller display may be fine when it's not used as frequently, but frequent use may uncover an annoyance with small image/text size. And so on.

If that theory holds true, if another device gains importance (a truly useful "glass" for example), or if voice interface reduces the need to view the display... preferences may move towards a more compact phone.

Reactions: eyoungren

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Weren't those the days when Apple was being accused of stubbornly resisting the trend towards larger displays?
Yep. iPhone 4S was when the first Galaxy Note phablet was released. Nowadays, the original Note is smaller than most mainstream smartphones.

I think in part the trend towards larger displays reflects the increased importance/usage of smartphones in most people's lives. Things that gain in personal importance often justify a larger physical space. A smaller display may be fine when it's not used as frequently, but frequent use may uncover an annoyance with small image/text size. And so on.
True. For me, even the S20+ Ultra or 11 Pro Max is still much smaller than I'd prefer my mobile device to be (I always carry an Air 3 in my purse).

Hence, a smaller phone is more ideal given I mostly just need it for communications and camera. When I'm at the office, even phone calls and SMS/iMessage are answered through the iPad. iOS Continuity is the primary reason I won't consider Android phones as daily driver.

That said, I've gotten used to 4.7" for the most part. Requires some finger gymnastics though. Can't really go any bigger than that.

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m never gonna say no or never because you don’t really know what will work in the future. Nobody thought Touch ID will come back but it did. That’s my biggest example of what to expect. Simple answer, nothing.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Probably when the bigger is better fad wears off. There is still demand. I remember getting annoyed at my 7 because I thought it was big. Until I got a big phone.. now it feels like a 5S.. sorta.. lol

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
They haven’t in years and just released the SE with 4.7 screen.

That should tell you something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.