Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the smaller notch look worse than the original?

• Yes

Votes: 55 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 96 41.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 79 34.3%

• Total voters

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Here's a proper comparison of the newer "smaller" notch on the iPhone 13's compared to the original. After watching reviews and finally seeing this comparison picture, I can't believe I'm saying this but the smaller notch looks worse than the original. I mean both are bad either way but there's something about the new one that seems "more in your face" and obtrusive.

Sure the smaller notch has somewhat reduced in size, but it marginally increased vertically so it looks more bigger? What do you guys think?

40CD00D9-1B8B-4908-B010-5219ACC35097.jpg

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Here's a proper comparison of the newer "smaller" notch compared to the original. After watching reviews and finally seeing this comparison picture, I can't believe I'm saying this but the smaller notch looks worse than the original. I mean both are bad either way but there's something about the new one that seems "more in your face" and obtrusive.

Sure the smaller notch has somewhat reduced in size, but it marginally increased vertically so it looks more bigger? What do you guys think?

View attachment 1839207
you aren’t the only one. It’s more unused wasted space on statusbar and taller

and bigger bunny ears. And I hate that the earpiece is at the top edge. They pretty much Just moved it to squeeze sensors closer together

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
you aren’t the only one. It’s more unused wasted space on statusbar and taller

and bigger bunny ears. And I hate that the earpiece is at the top edge. They pretty much Just moved it to squeeze sensors closer together
That’s the part that threw me off. It’s not like that a little extra space they gave us is even being utilized. So honestly I don’t really see the point of making a notch 20% smaller, plus it’s giving me Pixel 3XL vibes lol ?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That’s the part that threw me off. It’s not like that a little extra space they gave us is even being utilized. So honestly I don’t really see the point of making a notch 20% smaller, plus it’s giving me Pixel 3XL vibes lol ?

yeah I always thought 3XL looked regressive. Soul patch / Mohawk style notch

deal breaker? No but not a fan

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Apple should've saved the time and effort reducing it and instead should've just focused on eventually eliminating it.

The smaller notch looks like one of those cheap Android phone implementations, it just looks blah. I could've sworn one of the Google Pixel phones had the exact notch that also stirred up the same feelings.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The notch has never bothered me nor have I cared about it. If anything I like how it looks now. Tell you what when I open my 13PM on Friday night I won’t be analyzing the notch.

theres not much to analyze. its a case of it is what it is.

and when it isnt there, at some point with a future model, we will ALL be parading in the streets over what great joy its absence brings us. it will be the thing that unites our country, in fact.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
theres not much to analyze. its a case of it is what it is.

and when it isnt there, at some point with a future model, we will ALL be parading in the streets over what great joy its absence brings us. it will be the thing that unites our country, in fact.

That will be the day. Looking forward to pro motion versus a smaller notch honestly. As per many early reviews…good stuff.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Apple is touting a smaller notch as a feature. The space gained doesn't really get used, just like all the space below the keyboard in iOS (especially on Plus/Max iPhones). I thought either battery percentage, date, notification feature, or etc. would accompany the smaller notch announcement at Apple's event, maybe next year...

Reactions: BluefinTuna

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Apple is touting a smaller notch as a feature. The space gained doesn't really get used, just like all the space below the keyboard in iOS (especially on Plus/Max iPhones). I thought either battery percentage, date, notification feature, or etc. would accompany the smaller notch announcement at Apple's event, maybe next year...

Are they? They didn’t really mention it much during the keynote, hardly touting it as a feature…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.