Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR_Boogy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
My wife got the iPhone 11 when it was a couple of generations old and is keen to upgrade / we have someone we want to pass it on to.
Would moving to the 13 be a substantial upgrade - and then presumably the 15 in another 3 years - or is it incremental differences?
It's her work phone as well as personal and gets used a lot for taking photographs for work observations (childcare), but there's no need for telephoto or macro photography.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I would consider a 13 mini, unless she is set on a bigger phone.
I have a 12 mini as a backup to my Iphone 14pro. I find myself swapping sims because the Iphone 14 pro is just so heavy. I always say to my friends that the mini is a true phone, while the Pro is a handheld computer :p

CPU, Battery, Screen and features. Pro have 120hz screens and can drop them down to 1hz now.
CPU doesnt matter if your not doing anything heavy with the phone, like gaming or video editing.
Battery, the newer the device, the better battery you usually get.
Features... you already said you dont need telephoto so you can pass on the pro models. Blutooth 5.3 is nice for airpods and watch, but if you dont regularly use them, then dont bother, they just save a bit of power on wireless devices.

To be honest in 3 years I suspect iphones wont be the same devices, apple is pushing heavy in the game space so dont plan future upgrades just yet

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My wife got the iPhone 11 when it was a couple of generations old and is keen to upgrade / we have someone we want to pass it on to.
Would moving to the 13 be a substantial upgrade - and then presumably the 15 in another 3 years - or is it incremental differences?
It's her work phone as well as personal and gets used a lot for taking photographs for work observations (childcare), but there's no need for telephoto or macro photography.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I would recommend trying to get an iPhone 14, main reason being RAM, the standard iPhone 14 made the jump to 6GB RAM and that should make it a lot more futureproof and better to use day-to-day with newer iOS updates.

As we can see Apple has less things to add hardware wise year-to-year, they are adding a lot more software wise with each iOS update and the iPhone 14 is likely to keep chugging away comparably to an iPhone 15.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.