Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I am looking for an advice on [reasonably priced / used] Full HD monitor with proper color rendition (preferably >90% Adobe RGB) and smallest pixel size (and therefore overall physical size, 22" or ideally less than that). Surprisingly this turned to be a non-trivial problem: say, there are plenty of used and inexpensive Eizo ColorEdge monitors, but most of those which are 20–22" are not FHD, and FHD are 24".

Eizo ColorEdge CG221 seems to match requirements and should be cheap second hand, but seems to be very scarce. I looked through various Japanese sites from Yahoo to Rakuma, and found nothing. Apple Cinema HD 23" might be okay, but it will have larger pixels and therefore lower perceived image quality.

Anything else to consider?

I mostly work with static graphics (DTP and once in a blue moon photo processing), but want to be able to watch music videos in FHD. I don't play games, so speed of response is largely irrelevant. Color and high resolution are important.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Interesting question. Based just on the title, I would have assumed you'd want something portable for travel and setup, but that appears not to be the case. Would a 4k monitor around 24" work, where the pixel size would be smaller than a 22" FHD? I imagine you'd have way more options, especially regarding the quality angle.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Interesting question. Based just on the title, I would have assumed you'd want something portable for travel and setup, but that appears not to be the case. Would a 4k monitor around 24" work, where the pixel size would be smaller than a 22" FHD? I imagine you'd have way more options, especially regarding the quality angle.

I do not need 4K, and 24" will be a problem for a number of reasons (cost of shipping due to weight, physical space limitations at my place, higher price after all). That is, it gonna be an overkill, and expensive one.

I would be happy with 19" FHD in fact, but that likely is nonexistent.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I do not need 4K, and 24" will be a problem for a number of reasons (cost of shipping due to weight, physical space limitations at my place, higher price after all). That is, it gonna be an overkill, and expensive one.

I would be happy with 19" FHD in fact, but that likely is nonexistent.
Fair enough. How much are you looking to spend?

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Fair enough. How much are you looking to spend?

My best bet is Japanese auctions, where it can be anything if time permits to wait and check regularly (and I got no urgency here). I am probably okay to pay up to ~250 USD, though will try to catch a good offer first.

I got my current Eizo ColorEdge CG19 for 15 bucks (though shipping made it closer to 100). I have seen Eizo Foris 23" for about 100–150, but I want to avoid 23" (and a bit unsure how Foris renders colors).

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
How about this one?

Unfortunately, it is 1600 x 1200 (eBay has a wrong info): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460724-REG/Eizo_CG210BK_ColorEdge_CG210_21_3.html/specs

I even check on Eizo site: https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/products/model/CG210#tab03

KeithCody

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2021
How small is smaller? There's several FHD displays in the 7" range that are used in video production. I have Atmos Shogun 7". DCI-P3 (D65). It's $1300 though.

At NewEgg you can search monitors by resolution and for size. This search is for monitors that are 1920x1080 and under 17", sorted by lowest price first.

The first one is this Eyoyo for $106 at it's 13.3"

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
How small is smaller? There's several FHD displays in the 7" range that are used in video production. I have Atmos Shogun 7". DCI-P3 (D65). It's $1300 though.

At NewEgg you can search monitors by resolution and for size. This search is for monitors that are 1920x1080 and under 17", sorted by lowest price first.

The first one is this Eyoyo for $106 at it's 13.3"

Thank you! I will look up there.

Ideally I wanted something in 16"–19" range but Full HD and good color rendition. Kind of what I have on a MacBook Pro Retina, to use with G5 Quad and MacMini.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021

Ok now I have to ask if any are known for being usable for graphics, photo and design. There are indeed many products satisfying size-FHD-price requirements, and even having IPS panels, but then I am suspicious how bad colors should be for the thing to cost 100 bucks LOL

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
the EV2360 is fullhd 1920x1200 and 22inch.

Within FlexScan line I have seen quite a number of monitor satisfying my requirements, as well as some within Foris.
But I am unsure if these are okay in terms of color rendition.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Well, without a hardware colour calibration device the point is moot. I trust you own one?

Probably I formulated imprecisely. Calibrating, if needed, is trivial (and yeah, I have a hardware device). But it won’t save anything if the panel does not reproduce color gradations accurately – there is a hardware constraint.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Ah, right. As long as the panel is srgb compliant and uses an IPS panel it should be fine. A more inexpensive IPS panel tends to have a slow pixel responsiveness, but in your case that does not matter.

Of course, a wide-gamut IPS panel would probably be best for colour-critical work, but your budget doesn't extend into that range (unless second-hand screens are included).

And then there is the issue of glow and non-uniform brightness in most cheaper IPS panels.

As @tobefirst ⚽️ mentioned earlier: at that price ceiling you will have to compromise somewhere. The screen is the most important component for a designer. It makes no sense (to me at least) to skimp on the screen. And to top it off, you have very specific requirements in regards to screen size and resolution as well...

If you would allow for standard 1920x1080 24" sized screens, there are many more options. Even good inexpensive screens such as the HP 24mh which comes in at ~$150 and 4.5Kg and provides full sRGB coverage.
If you are unsure about those Foris of FlexScan monitors, check reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.