Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I have pretty small wrists, but I have always been intrigued by the Ultra and am considering trying it. The thing is, I have pretty slender wrists. I have an AW8 45mm. It seems ok, size wise. I tried the 41mm before settling on 45mm and quickly returned it because of it was just too small. I’m curious how small a wrist can be while still using the Ultra.

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
I have pretty small wrists, but I have always been intrigued by the Ultra and am considering trying it. The thing is, I have pretty slender wrists. I have an AW8 45mm. It seems ok, size wise. I tried the 41mm before settling on 45mm and quickly returned it because of it was just too small. I’m curious how small a wrist can be while still using the Ultra.
It can be as small as any. As long as you like it and are happy with it. I wish they’d make the ultra a little bigger tbh. I love the huge watch look.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I got wrists like a bird. 6.5". The elastic sport bands fit fine. I switched to a steel "Oyster" style band, which adjusted down fine and matches the case finish fine. The case and screen are big, yes, but not clown-big. It's fine.

Reactions: usmaak

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Look what part of the AW really sits on your wrist - the sensor/charging part. And that is the same size for every watch out there.
Whether or not you like it aesthetically, that is of course a different question

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple says Ultra fits wrists 130 mm and up. That's the size 1 solo loop. So if you can wear any regular Apple watch, you should be able to wear the Ultra.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

jamface

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
I got wrists like a bird. 6.5". The elastic sport bands fit fine. I switched to a steel "Oyster" style band, which adjusted down fine and matches the case finish fine. The case and screen are big, yes, but not clown-big. It's fine.
Like a bird’s what?

Reactions: DaPhox

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
It is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you want an Ultra, get one and wear it with pride. Do not worry so much about that others think.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Also, wrist circumference is less relevant that wrist width. For it to look „ok“, the Watch body should probably be less long than your wrist is wide; or so most people seem to think about this. What counts most is just how you like it when you try it on, though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sparrow, Tawny Owl, Hen Harrier, Ostrich…?
1695127517512.png

This owl's legs look thicker than my wrists.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
My GF has 5 1/2 inch wrist (wears a size 1 of the solo loop). She tried the Ultra on in the Apple Store (just for fun) and it looked like a small child wearing Dad’s watch. It looked ridiculous. That’s one end of the extreme. I’ve got an 8 1/2 inch wrist and am off the chart on the large size of the solo loops (ie beyond size 12). I think the Ultra fits nicely on my wrist. That’s the other end of the extreme.

I’d think if you are wearing a 45mm AW now and it looks okay you’d likely be okay with the Ultra….as long as the width of the Ultra is no wider than the width of your wrist…you’re probably in the zone…where it comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Duffman19

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2022
Look what part of the AW really sits on your wrist - the sensor/charging part. And that is the same size for every watch out there.
The sensor group on the 41mm models is smaller than the 45mm and Ultra. Not sure if the 45mm and Ultra are exactly the same size, but I would guess they are.

I had an Ultra to compare against my S7 41mm and the Ultra’s sensor is both larger and protrudes a slight bit more. This was noticeable while wearing as well. While the Ultra was still comfortable, I could definitely feel the sensor pushing into the wrist more when strapped down tight for a run.

If OP is comparing the 45mm to Ultra, then it’ll surely be less of an issue. I think the weight and thickness of the Ultra will be most noticeable. The sharper angles around the bezel also tend to catch long shirt sleeves more than the Series design.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
“as long as the width of the Ultra is no wider than the width of your wrist”​

You mean the *height* of the Watch, right?! That the height is not larger than the width of your wrist. That it doesn't sit partly over the edge of the wrist!

Many people wouldn't mind a *wider* watch that could show you more information! It would be larger in the direction of your arm's length, not larger across the wrist.

This next point is crucial.

wrist circumference is less relevant that wrist width.

There's been far too much attention to the wrist circumference. Whether a Watch looks good or not largely depends on its height relative your wrist's width.

But most critical is how the owner feels, and whether the text and display are sized right for them.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
The h
“as long as the width of the Ultra is no wider than the width of your wrist”​

You mean the *height* of the Watch, right?! That the height is not larger than the width of your wrist. That it doesn't sit partly over the edge of the wrist!

Many people wouldn't mind a *wider* watch that could show you more information! It would be larger in the direction of your arm's length, not larger across the wrist.

This next point is crucial.

There's been far too much attention to the wrist circumference. Whether a Watch looks good or not largely depends on its height relative your wrist's width.

But most critical is how the owner feels, and whether the text and display are sized right for them.
The height of my wrist is two inches. I think circumference is 166 - 170mm.

For reference, the size specs of the 45mm AW and the Ultra2.

AW9
Height: 1.77"
Width: 1.5"
Depth: 0.42"

Ultra2
Height: 1.93"
Width: 1.73"
Depth: 0.57"

Last edited:

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Like a bird’s what?
That is a very good question! It is well known in evohorological circles that wrists evolved in order to support watches at or near the grasping end of an appendage. Usage of the term wrist implies an upper body limb; however those birds constantly flung watches off their wings, and, over time devolved from the gene pool, having frozen to death as they lost track of migration times. Birds as we know them today, evolved hybrid wrankles at the lower limbs for the purpose of supporting watches. Of course, suitable articulation and strength is required, and is aptly demonstrated by teams of African Swallows, known to have ferried coconuts to England in the 1100's, gripping them by the husks.

So, I should more precisely characterized my mammalian wrists as being proportional in girth to that of an African Swallow's wrankle.

blinker

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
teams of African Swallows, known to have ferried coconuts to England in the 1100's, gripping them by the husks.
I thought it was European swallows that went over to Africa to import the coconuts. Unladen, they could get there in a trice, rest for a bit, then carry their prizes home.

More to the point, I was about to post the same question as the OP here, as I also have a small wrist, just 6.75 inches or about 172 mm, with a 2 inch width. I would very much like to have an Ultra, but I tried one on in an Apple store once and it just seemed too big for me.

OTOH, I remember the old Dick Tracy comic strip where he wore a "2-way wrist radio" that had to be at least three inches and seemed slightly wider than his wrist, so you never know.

ruptured

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
US Expat living in Thailand
Mine is about 165 or so, but I've heard that the heartbeat accuracy can be compromised if the watch doesn't fit the wrist properly. Apple says the smallest wrist is 130mm so theoretically it'll work on any wrist larger than that, however the size looks big, but it should function properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.