Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
From purchase (26th of May) my MacBook Pro had been suffering from the dreaded “high-pitched buzzing sound” (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303365)
from under the keyboard, inverter noise and not to mention being severely hot to the touch. The eject key on the keyboard were misaligned too.

I sent it in on August the 7th after having talked with AppleCare (a 21 min phonecall) to the local repair center (in Denmark, Copenhagen) run by the Apple certified company called Humac.

It took a little over a week and I had it back in my hands on August the 15th. Upon receiving it I noticed that they had not fixed the “high-pitched buzzing sound”, had not fixed the keyboard but they had replaced the screen inverter (although that did not help).

As an added bonus my MacBook Pro now had scratches on the bottom and on the battery. It does not end here, however. The screen were covered with fingerprints and the middle of the screen had been scratched. Dismayed by this discovery I called AppleCare the next day (the 16th which resulted in a 45 min. phonecall) talking with a Technical Service Provider Support employee named Ulf.

He thoroughly noted my entire case and he told me to, once again, take it back to Humac and explained that they had to contact him before doing anything to the computer.
So later on the 16th of August I took my MacBook Pro back to Humac and explained that I had been talking with AppleCare and that they had to contact the TSPS named Ulf before doing anything to the notebook.

On the 30th of August I receive a letter from Humac stating that the scratches on the screen could not have happened during repair and I need to contact them and explain the case with information and error description. I, once again, contact AppleCare and thoroughly explain the situation. It results in calls between Humac and me and they finally decide to change the screen but totally disregard the scratches on the bottom of the computer and battery.

The 5th of September I received a letter stating my MacBook Pro had been repaired and that I could pick it up at my local Humac store in Aalborg.
But, alas, it does not end here. They sent the computer the wrong place. Ok, mistakes do happen. I am told that they should receive it the following day. Guess what, it didn’t happen. Ok, armed with patience I speak with them and they reassure me that I will have it Friday at latest (September the 8th). Nope, didn’t happen either.
Ok ok, you will definitely have it on Monday the 11th.

I just got a call from Humac, saying that they haven’t received my MacBook Pro and I should have it on Wednesday the 13th …

Anyone still with me? Want to take bets at this point?

I have owned this computer for a total of 111 days this Wednesday and out of that time I haven’t had it in my possession for 38 days. In other words, over 34% of my total ownership of this notebook I haven’t been able to be productive on it.

I should probably call AppleCare and complain. Any ideas are most welcome!

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Humac stinker!:p

That really reeks dude. Demand something. My Shuffle just stopped working, and I'm not being nice until I stand with 750 kr. or a new one (it's now 600 kr., but was 750 when I bought it).

They didn't repair your MBP, and just scracthed it. go demand a refund or a replacement (but wait till you can get a merom MBP replacement).:D

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Needless to say I am quickly running out of patience heh.

Should I ask for a replacement or some form of compensation for the trouble I have been through?

It's not as if I don't need my notebook. I do, very much.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I wonder if there's legal action you can take againt Humac for damaging your product while it was in their care...they were supposed to be fixing it, not making it worse:rolleyes: I'd ring applecare and explain to them very patiently and politely the situation, and how the appalling service you've had by the 'apple certified' company hopefully doesn't reflect badly on apple themselves for certifying them in the first place. Prod for a replacement or guaranteed fix by a fixed date. Or you could always ring humac and demand to speak with the manager and give him hell (politely) :D

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Osarkon said:
I wonder if there's legal action you can take againt Humac for damaging your product while it was in their care...they were supposed to be fixing it, not making it worse:rolleyes: I'd ring applecare and explain to them very patiently and politely the situation, and how the appalling service you've had by the 'apple certified' company hopefully doesn't reflect badly on apple themselves for certifying them in the first place. Prod for a replacement or guaranteed fix by a fixed date. Or you could always ring humac and demand to speak with the manager and give him hell (politely) :D

They denied having done any damage to it. As they said, "it couldn't have happened during repairing it."

So they just magically appeared during the time I sent it in and got it back?

Anyway, I wonder how it will look when I receive it on Wednesday. That is, if I receive it there . . .

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Well, from what I've seen, I'd consider taking pictures when you get it back in case you have to send it again. And if you have any pictures of it without the scratches, then I think you could easily get them to understand your situation.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Temmelig mange danskere på det her forum, dejligt.

I am glad I am not the only having trouble with the Danish Applecare support. My iBook was in for a total of 43 days before they told me that my problem was software related. Crappy crap. What a waste of money, time and time. I honestly don't know what to do about though :( I filed a complaint but it doesn't seem I am noticed anywhere...

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
richard4339 said:
Well, from what I've seen, I'd consider taking pictures when you get it back in case you have to send it again. And if you have any pictures of it without the scratches, then I think you could easily get them to understand your situation.

i am definately taking pictures before i ever send my stuff in for anything. that is absolutely terrible!

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
matttrick said:
i am definately taking pictures before i ever send my stuff in for anything. that is absolutely terrible!

It just seems paradoxical that you have to take pictures of your otherwise brand new machine when you send it in for repair. You expect it to be repaired and not damaged.

I am looking forward to see in what condition it is in when I receive it...

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Got it back Wednesday the 13th and this time they had replaced my screen, keyboard and logic board.

Great, I thoroughly inspect it at the clerk desk and lo and behold, a new screen accompanied by new scratches!

Oh, the eject on the keyboard isn't misaligned any longer, great, thumbs up! But wait, now the backlight on the keyboard doesn't work! Thumbs down!

It seems they are incapable of fixing anything without screwing new things up in the process.

Needless to say I am currently speaking with AppleCare :mad:

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
What we all need is for 60 Minutes to do a story about Apple's serious quality control issues. Bad press ALWAYS gets things done.

Pressure: Where did you originally purchase the computer from? And is there an Apple store in Denmark?

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
MACDRIVE said:
What we all need is for 60 Minutes to do a story about Apple's serious quality control issues. Bad press ALWAYS gets things done.

Pressure: Where did you originally purchase the computer from? And is there an Apple store in Denmark?

No Apple Stores in Denmark, so we are left with certified dealers and repair centers.

I just got off the phone with AppleCare (49 minutes) and they need to know if the backlight is a hardware problem. In other words, they want me to reinstall Mac OSX. If the problem persists, they have agreed to give me a new notebook.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Pressure said:
No Apple Stores in Denmark, so we are left with certified dealers and repair centers.

That's what I was affraid of. It's these third party outfits like Humac that always cause the problems. I like to deal directly with a company if at all possible. In my opinion, they're giving you way to much hassle. They should have already just sent you a new MacBook.

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
MACDRIVE said:
That's what I was affraid of. It's these third party outfits like Humac that always cause the problems. I like to deal directly with a company if at all possible. In my opinion, they're giving you way to much hassle. They should have already just sent you a new MacBook.

I hope you mean MacBook Pro heh ;)

Regardless, I can first reinstall Mac OSX on sunday, as I am out of town and didn't in the world think of bringing my MacBook Pro Mac OSX disks with me.

They (AppleCare) even agreed to send me a new MacBook Pro before returning my own, so I won't be without my notebook any longer. I thought the 38 days were a bit harsh to begin with.

Should I press on to get some sort of compensation or just be happy with the fact I can get a new one (unless the keyboard backlight suddenly work when I have gotten Mac OSX reinstalled but the Apple Technical Service Provider I spoke to doubted it)?

I also had to "click" the front of the case together, as it didn't fit tight. Good service from Humac, as always :rolleyes:

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
MACDRIVE said:
Yes just try to get a new one from them. Compensation? Don't push it. ;)

Just as I thought but I will be hearing at what Apple Customer Relations suggest.

Who knows, maybe they feel generous but I have this feeling that exchanging it is as much generosity as we will get from them heh :)

Pressure

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Last night I decided to play a movie on my newly "repaired" MacBook Pro and I notice the sound is heavily distorted on the right speaker. So it appears that besides ruining the backlight of the keyboard, they also broke my right speaker.

Fantastic job, Humac!

Now I see no reason to reinstall Mac OSX to verify that we are seeing a hardware failure and not a software related one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.