Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Greetings! I'm looking for a little advise on smart bulbs. I currently have several smart bulbs and outlets originally sourced from IKEA. I'm would like to upgrade my smart devices to the latest technology and move away from having to have a dedicated hub, like the IKEA ecosystem I have now.

Specifically I am looking for smart bulbs, with E12 connectors, that support Thread. I've found several "brands" on Amazon that have the right size connector but I can't determine if they support Thread. The specs for these bulbs all say they support Alexa and Google, but don't generally say anything about HomeKit or Thread.

My question is can anyone suggest a smart bulb with an E12 connector that explicitly supports Thread? I'd like at least 40w equivalent.

ktaylormt005

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
I haven't found any E12 connectors which are HomeKit compatible. Let us know if you find something as I've been hunting for the same thing.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Yes, and I have some already, but Nanoleaf does not sell any bulbs with an E12 connector. This is a smaller connector than the standard E26.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Yes, and I have some already, but Nanoleaf does not sell any bulbs with an E12 connector. This is a smaller connector than the standard E26.
If you’re looking for Thread bulbs with a candelabra base (is that what E12 is?), then we’re both looking for the same thing. I was hoping Nanoleaf would deliver such a bulb but nothing to date. Should you find some, please share. As an aside, my Thread-enabled Wemo smartplugs work very, very well, far better than others I’ve tried from multiple vendors over time. Surprisingly though, none work as well as my X-10 power line smartplugs from the 1980’s and I have about two dozen of them still working just fine.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
I think the E12 connectors may also be known as "candelabra." In a post up above I posted a link to some bulbs I found and ordered off Amazon that support HomeKit. They do not explicitly support Thread, though, as far as I can tell. The bulbs are arriving today and I will definitely post here how they work.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Over the long weekend I decided to keep the bulbs with the wrong connector base and use them. Why not, right? I've only been using them for a couple of days and I can report that they appear to be working quite well. I was able to integrate them into my system using only the Home app and so far I have been able to effectively control them using Siri and the Home app.

The one drawback to be aware of with these bulbs is they are larger than a stand light bulb, so if you want to put them in a ceiling mounted light with a glass cover it may not fit as snuggly as it did before. So far, so good.

I still want to find some "candelabra" or E12 bulbs for my floor lamp.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.