Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PasiP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2023
I am thinking of buying an M1 iPad Pro 11 inch. Currently I have an iPad Air 2 with Apple's official Smart Case. I tried to look Apple's official cases but only found Smart Folio, which does not seem to cover or protect the sides of the iPad. Doesn't Apple no longer manufacture these and what would be the best alternative?

Reactions: piblondin

Loganeer

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Check out the leather folio cases from either Nomad or Andar. They are both excellent cases, lightweight and protective.

Last edited:

PasiP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2023
I am still searching for similar case to the original smart case. I checked out Nomad and Andar but neither offers edge protection. Additionally they are not that lightweight and the other one didn't feature a folding cover. Here is an old review of the case I was using on iPad Air 2 and looking for

Last edited:
Reactions: piblondin

Loganeer

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
I own both the Nomad and Andar cases and they do have edge protection as well as being the lightest of all the high quality cases I tried. They are top notch. The video above is for the old fashioned cases that are difficult to find since most cases today leave room for the pencil. There is a case that has all around protection but the quality is just ok. It was one of the cases I returned but it might be worth checking out. https://www.amazon.com/DTTO-Generation-Ultra-Lightweight-Trifold/dp/B0919X27W6

Last edited:
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I am still searching for similar case to the original smart case. I checked out Nomad and Andar but neither offers edge protection. Additionally they are not that lightweight and the other one didn't feature a folding cover. Here is an old review of the case I was using on iPad Air 2 and looking for
The nomad case is built the exact same way (equal or better protection) and it's better quality. I have the Apple smart case for my old Air2 and the Nomad case I bought for my 12.9 Pro puts it to shame. It's is more expensive but it's worth it in my opinion

Reactions: Loganeer

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
The nomad case is built the exact same way (equal or better protection) and it's better quality. I have the Apple smart case for my old Air2 and the Nomad case I bought for my 12.9 Pro puts it to shame. It's is more expensive but it's worth it in my opinion
Would be heavier too

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
The "smart case" shown in the video looks like the same thing Apple is currently calling the "Smart Folio". Seems to me that they simply changed the name, the product is basically the same.

The video is 8 years old. If that is what you are looking for, I think you should check out the current smart folio that Apple is selling. You mention wanting edge protection, but you also said that you want something similar to the original smart case, which does not enclose the iPad completely. Apple also sells a case from OtterBox that does seem to enclose the edges of the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.