Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
How well does the smart cover work for propping up the iPad to watch movies in bed? Does shifting weight and the not completely solid platform of the mattress cause problems for keeping the iPad upright?

I ordered a mini and am trying to decide if I should pick up a smart cover too.

Thanks!

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I had an original iPad and the Apple cover they sold for it. As long as I / we were still in bed it worked "ok" but not great. It was tippy and any time you shifted around it would fall over.

Maybe I'll look at other case / cover options. Some of the ones Spec has look good as they have a larger base. Something like their MagFolio looks decent.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
actually look for a small bean bag pillow type - I've seen then for ipads....

I think there is one in skymall.com - then look for it somewhere cheaper

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
actually look for a small bean bag pillow type - I've seen then for ipads....

I think there is one in skymall.com - then look for it somewhere cheaper

I wanted to get something that could double as a cover and for propping it up in bed. Maybe the smart cover would work with the help of a pillow. I suppose if I buy it from Apple I can always take it back.

911turbo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I wanted to get something that could double as a cover and for propping it up in bed. Maybe the smart cover would work with the help of a pillow. I suppose if I buy it from Apple I can always take it back.

Dont think the smart cover can meet your expectations. The base for the smart cover is so narrow and dont think the iPad can stand still on your bed if you are using a smart cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.