Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Hi,

I just upgraded my first gen Air to the new 2018 iPad, and I'm thinking about adding some form of protection.

My Air was used with just a screen protector, and no other protection. The idea was to move the screen protector over, but the adhesive layer broke of from the protector in the middle of the screen when I removed it. I guess even reusable protectors may not be reusable after 4 years.

Anyways, I'm not going to get another screen protector, because the only one I liked is not available anymore (it seems like the manufacturer went out of business). I'm now considering a smart conver.

The smart cover would solve 4 problems:
  1. Protect the screen when in my backpack
  2. Protect the back when on my note stand or on a table
  3. Allow me to put my keyboard in the same backpack compartment as my iPad without scratching it up, freeing valuable space.
  4. Easily deployable stand for use with keyboard
My concerns are that it may not be as protective as I'd like it to be, and that it may be in the way when hand holding the iPad (The beauty of it is how easy it is to take off though so that may not be a problem), and also that it's not stable enough to be used as a stand while touching it.

TLDR:
Do you like the smart cover?
Pros/cons?
Worth the money?

Thanks,
/Erik

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I personally don’t think it is. With my 10.5” I went with a Khomo case/cover that has a plastic backing and a twill cover finish. Couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: user1234

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I personally don’t think it is. With my 10.5” I went with a Khomo case/cover that has a plastic backing and a twill cover finish. Couldn’t be happier.

I checked them out, and I kinda like this one, but the front cover doesn't look like it's easily removable like the smart cover?

Edit: And that nice blue color isn't available in the EU store...

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I checked them out, and I kinda like this one, but the front cover doesn't look like it's easily removable like the smart cover?

I like it if you want the ultimate sleekest experience you can get. It doesn’t get in the way when you’re holding it because it magnetically sticks to the back— I actually find that it makes the iPad easier to hold, because the microfiber with those couple grooves is grippier than just the metal.
[doublepost=1522422861][/doublepost]I usually use just the Smart Cover. But if I were throwing it in a backpack, I’d use something more, unless I had a nicely padded laptop sleeve built into the backpack.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

While it does add a bit more “bulk,” it’s a worthy trade off for me to gain the added protection for an expensive piece of equipment that I use throughout the day, every day.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I like it if you want the ultimate sleekest experience you can get. It doesn’t get in the way when you’re holding it because it magnetically sticks to the back— I actually find that it makes the iPad easier to hold, because the microfiber with those couple grooves is grippier than just the metal.
[doublepost=1522422861][/doublepost]I usually use just the Smart Cover. But if I were throwing it in a backpack, I’d use something more, unless I had a nicely padded laptop sleeve built into the backpack.

Sounds good!

I do have a padded laptop compartment, and a specific iPad compartment as well. The iPad compartment is lined with a soft felt-like material, but it doesn't cover the entire screen.

While it does add a bit more “bulk,” it’s a worthy trade off for me to gain the added protection for an expensive piece of equipment that I use throughout the day, every day.

Yes but not being able to remove the front cover would possibly drive me crazy. If it is flapping around and gets in the way I want to be able to easily remove it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Sounds good!

I do have a padded laptop compartment, and a specific iPad compartment as well. The iPad compartment is lined with a soft felt-like material, but it doesn't cover the entire screen.

Yes but not being able to remove the front cover would possibly drive me crazy. If it is flapping around and gets in the way I want to be able to easily remove it.
Makes sense. Different strokes for different folks.

Best of luck finding what you need.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I personally like the smart cover because it's easily removable so I got a case that's compatible with it. You can check some out here.

Reactions: user1234

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I personally like the smart cover because it's easily removable so I got a case that's compatible with it. You can check some out here.
You know, that actually looks like a really good option. I'll probably get a smart cover now, and look into a compatible when and if needed.

At least I know that I can add a cover later, so I feel more comfortable getting the smart cover :)

Thanks guys!

Reactions: 0970373

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've always bought a Smart Cover for any iPad I've had - still keeps it really thin and portable, but crucially raises it to a much more viewable angle when being used at a desk or table. I find I get a lot less glare than laying it flat with overhead lights.

I don't really use it as an upright stand apart from on trains or aeroplanes for watching films, for which it works fine. I wouldn't like to interact with the screen much, however, as it is a bit wobbly.

The beauty of it is that it snaps on and off so easily, so if it ever gets in the way I just take it off and set it to one side!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Hi,

I just upgraded my first gen Air to the new 2018 iPad, and I'm thinking about adding some form of protection.

My Air was used with just a screen protector, and no other protection. The idea was to move the screen protector over, but the adhesive layer broke of from the protector in the middle of the screen when I removed it. I guess even reusable protectors may not be reusable after 4 years.

Anyways, I'm not going to get another screen protector, because the only one I liked is not available anymore (it seems like the manufacturer went out of business). I'm now considering a smart conver.

The smart cover would solve 4 problems:
  1. Protect the screen when in my backpack
  2. Protect the back when on my note stand or on a table
  3. Allow me to put my keyboard in the same backpack compartment as my iPad without scratching it up, freeing valuable space.
  4. Easily deployable stand for use with keyboard
My concerns are that it may not be as protective as I'd like it to be, and that it may be in the way when hand holding the iPad (The beauty of it is how easy it is to take off though so that may not be a problem), and also that it's not stable enough to be used as a stand while touching it.

TLDR:
Do you like the smart cover?
Pros/cons?
Worth the money?

Thanks,
/Erik
I agree with those who think you'll be fine with one. I had a smart cover for my iPad mini. Before that, i always had keyboard covers for my iPads & I recently upgraded to an iPad pro & went with a smart Keyboard, but for the mini, I didn't want such a small keyboard, so i skipped the keyboard cases & went with a smart cover. I like a lot and would recommend it. The one thing i don't like as much as the keyboard cases is that the mini is a little wobbly (as combookpro mentioned) when using it as a stand for working on the iPad. It's not terrible & still totally usable, but it's just a little less sturdy than any of the keyboard cases I've used.

I used mine very similarly to how you are planning to use yours & it was great. I took it work every day in the laptop sleeve of my backpack & the screen looks like brand new, so does the back, due to being in the laptop sleeve. I think you'll be happy with the smart cover.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I have both the Smart Cover and smart case, both genuine Apple products and I only use the Smart Cover on my air 2.
I did not pay full price for any of them as I got them second hand off eBay.

£5 for the Smart Cover and £16 for the case.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Thanks guys,

I feel very confident that the smart cover is the right solution for me, possibly with a compatible back cover added at some point.

I use a Plinth stand now when I want to use it at an upright position, which is pretty much every morning at breakfast. I’ll probably continue with this due to the instability of the smart cover in this position, but that’s why it’s so great that the smart cover is easily removed.

(Btw, I’m using Safari in split view on my new iPad right now and it’s awesome)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks guys,

I feel very confident that the smart cover is the right solution for me, possibly with a compatible back cover added at some point.

I use a Plinth stand now when I want to use it at an upright position, which is pretty much every morning at breakfast. I’ll probably continue with this due to the instability of the smart cover in this position, but that’s why it’s so great that the smart cover is easily removed.

Smart Cover plus some kind of back cover is the sleekest protection you’ll get. I think you’ll find it to be worth the money. There’s a reason this accessory has endured since the iPad 2. I usually carry my Pro around with the Apple Smart Keyboard attached, but I still enjoy traveling a little lighter sometimes and just using a regular Smart Cover. Thin, light, useful, and nice looking.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I bought a smart cover today and I can't believe I didn't get one sooner!

It works great! I can even keep it on when I use my plinth stand. I wish the cover itself was a bit more stable as a stand, but it works.

It's a little bit in the way when using it laying down. It tends to not stick enough to the back and fall down, but it's so easy to remove so it's not a problem.

The other thing is that I can now carry the iPad and my Apple keyboard in one hand without the keyboard scratching the iPad which is great. Also works great as a tray to carry smaller items like a smartphone and a powerbank for example. A lot less slippery than a bare screen.

Love it, and would recommend it! Thanks everyone for your help

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have found that a thin clear skin on the back (to protect against scratches and improve grip) makes a nice companion to the smart cover.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I've always used a Smart Cover and a plush sleeve to carry it in. My last iPad still looks new with using that combo.

Incase, Timbuk2, Tucano and Crumpler have sleeves for the iPad.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
My iPads have always looked like new when selling them despite not having a cover/case. I'm really careful with my stuff

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I got the poly one today after returning the leather. A little extra insurance when I travel with it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I got the poly one today after returning the leather. A little extra insurance when I travel with it.
I don’t love the leather ones either. They look fantastic at the beginning, but I don’t like the stained and scratched look they eventually take on even when you’re careful. I know leather is supposed to do that, but I don’t want my iPad looking like my wallet.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I’ve used smart covers exclusively since the iPad 2 and never looked back. Like AirPods it’s one of the coolest accessories Apple has ever made. It’s very easy to add and remove depending on what you are doing. I transport my iPad in an InCase pouch. Unless you are rough on iPads or handing them to a kid, there really no need for anything other than a cover for the screen.
[doublepost=1522718261][/doublepost]
Thanks guys,

Just saw your replies above ....glad you are enjoying the Smart Cover and iPad. I’ve gone to iPad for my main computer as of 2015 and the Pro has made it all the better. I know a few people who have done the same. I have zero need for a Mac at home anymore which is pretty amazing. Also with the pencil I can channel my creativity since the iPad has an amazing screen for doing photography and other creative work. Now if adobe brought the full photoshop to iPad I’d be in total heaven. It would work great with Apple Pencil!

Last edited:

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I’ve used smart covers exclusively since the iPad 2 and never looked back. Like AirPods it’s one of the coolest accessories Apple has ever made. It’s very easy to add and remove depending on what you are doing. I transport my iPad in an InCase pouch. Unless you are rough on iPads or handing them to a kid, there really no need for anything other than a cover for the screen.
[doublepost=1522718261][/doublepost]
Just saw your replies above ....glad you are enjoying the Smart Cover and iPad. I’ve gone to iPad for my main computer as of 2015 and the Pro has made it all the better. I know a few people who have done the same. I have zero need for a Mac at home anymore which is pretty amazing. Also with the pencil I can channel my creativity since the iPad has an amazing screen for doing photography and other creative work. Now if adobe brought the full photoshop to iPad I’d be in total heaven. It would work great with Apple Pencil!

That's interesting. I'll never be able to substitute my computer for an iPad, nor do I want to. For me the iPad is an extension of my computer, and it would work even better as one if I could set chrome as my standard browser. It's great for browsing the web, reading content, playing with software instruments and watching Netflix in bed.

With the pencil it would probably be awesome for taking notes and sketching ideas but they should lower the price to around US $50 and I would feel like it's worth it.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I haven’t owned a Smart Cover since I had my iPad 2 years ago. I’ve had all sorts of cases on my iPads since then, including Smart Cover type cases with an included plastic back, but recently decided to try it again. I gotta say, I’m really loving it. It’s just so dead simple, and my 10.5” seems so much thinner and lighter than it did before. Not having anything on the back really makes that much of a difference to me. I’ve noticed that this generation of smart covers just seems a lot better compared to the one I had all those years ago. The nicest part to me is that when I fold the cover back, it magnetically sticks to the back of my iPad, so it’s not flopping around like my old cover used to.

I am a bit concerned about the back of my iPad, but I always try to be very careful with my stuff, and I have gotten dents and dings on iPads before using much bulkier cases, so whatever. Plus I always carried my laptops around without any covers on them, anyway.

Reactions: CharlesShaw

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Thanks guys,

The OtterBox Symmetry Hybrid case is specified to work with the Apple Smart Keyboard or Smart Cover.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I haven’t owned a Smart Cover since I had my iPad 2 years ago.

... this generation of smart covers just seems a lot better compared to the one I had all those years ago.

I couldn’t agree more! My last iPad and Smart Cover was years ago and also the iPad 2, so I was in for a surprise when the Apple employee slid open the box and handed me the leather Smart Cover. I couldn’t believe how light it felt and how much the materials have improved now that the metal hinge mechanism is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.