Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
We've been using a Lacrosse weather station to display indoor and outdoor temp and humidity etc. It's been sufficient for our needs and it looks nice. However, we also recently got ourselves a smart ceiling fan. We don't have central heating or AC, so no need for a thermostat, but I was thinking it would be nice to have the fan automatically turn on/off with certain temperature thresholds. So I was looking into HomeKit enabled thermometers, but then I was thinking instead of basically having redundant thermometers (our weather station and the smart thermometer), maybe I should just get a smart weather station instead, which basically does the same things as our current one + communicates temperature and humidity back to HomeKit for automation.

However, upon googling I couldn't find anything, so I was wondering if there really is no such thing yet or whether I just didn't find it. Does anyone know anything/could recommend something if it exists (and preferably doesn't break the bank).

Thanks

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
What does your current weather station monitor? Just curious how much functionality you need.

Netatmo makes a Homekit Weather Station:

and

Eve Degree:

I don’t have either of these so I can’t comment on them. There are others much cheaper and less functional but require a Hub like the Aqara Temp and Humidity sensor for example.

Reactions: Ankaa

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you're a bit tech minded, you should be able to do something with homebridge. It's a piece of software that allows non-homekit devices to work with homekit. There are plug-ins for all sorts of things - TVs, cameras, assorted lightbulbs and sockets.

There is a plug-in for weather, it will pull the current outside temp and other conditions from the web, and put them into homekit devices.
(although it seems to use dark sky to pull weather from, so hopefully they'll update to something else soon, thanks apple)

there is a plug in that appears to pull from lacrosse web, so if you've got lacrosse connected to the web, you might be good to go. there's not much info.

homebridge is free, but requires a computer that's on 24 hours (windows, Mac or linux). You can use a raspberry Pi.

If you're a little less tech minded, look at Hoobs, it's is a pre-built version of homebridge for raspberry Pi, depending on your tech skills, they have 3 options -- a downloadable version, a pre-loaded SD card to put in your own Pi, Or a Pi in a case with everything pre-installed.

The pre-built Pi with the case from hoobs is $170,
if you bought your own Pi, case, and SD card it would be about $50-70

the Jeelink USB stick is about

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
What does your current weather station monitor? Just curious how much functionality you need.

It's less about functionality and more about optics. E.g. we also use ours as a clock. Ours is connected to Wifi for time/date and forecast. It is, however, not yet smart, i.e. doesn't communicate with an app or something.

@waw74 Thank you, I'll look into that

Attachments

• IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It's less about functionality and more about optics. E.g. we also use ours as a clock. Ours is connected to Wifi for time/date and forecast.

@waw74 Thank you, I'll look into that
Gotchya. That is a pretty looking display but from your original post, it seemed you were more concerned about functionality with a HomeKit supported weather station. When I hear weather station, I’m thinking wall mounted thermometers, barometers, anemometers, etc... scattered in and around the house lol.

I have a few wall mounted iPads that double as HomeKit, time and weather displays.

BTW, Shortcuts can get you actions based on weather conditions too and HomeKit automations can be converted to Shortcuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.