Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I have trouble reading text on some websites because the text is too light on the white background.
I solved the problem after turning on 'smart invert' on the iphone.
The problem, though, is that while the text is now readable, quite a lot of the images (colours) are also inverted on the website.
Any solutions?
(btw when i turn on 'invert colours' on my mac air, which for some reason doesn't have the 'smart invert' options, to solve the light text problem - all the image colours are inverted.)

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Does the BOLD TEXT System Setting affect websites? It's under DISPLAY & BRIGHTNESS.
I tried the BOLD TEXT mode and it certainly improves the text faintness on the phone itself (thanks for that) but I'm not noticing a difference with faint texts on websites.

btw do you know if there's an equivalent BOLD TEXT option on macs?

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
As far as the light text on the chrome browser in some websites on the mac, I'm pretty sure, since the faint text issue is not occurring on my m1 mac pro which is using an earlier version of chrome, that the issue is related to it being an older mac air using chrome in High Sierra.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I don't have the ability to check my Mac at the moment, but I imagine you can set bold text (or font sizes) in ACCESSIBILITY in the SYSTEM PREFERENCES app.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I don't have the ability to check my Mac at the moment, but I imagine you can set bold text (or font sizes) in ACCESSIBILITY in the SYSTEM PREFERENCES app.
I don't see any bold text option in accessibility on the mac but there's a increase contrast option however it doesn't increase the text contrast in websites on the chrome browser. (Those same text in those websites are quite readable on the safari browser).

It's not so much the size of the text as it is the faintness.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Ok, so I researched this a bit more for you. You can use a custom style sheet while in Safari, under the SAFARI menu, then PREFERENCES, then ADVANCED, then STYLE SHEET.

Essentially, you create a TextEdit doc, change it to plain text, enter the below line (starting with the *) on the first line, then save it to your documents folder as "bold.css". Finally, go to the Safari preferences above and choose your bold.css style sheet. My M1 Macbook Air running MacOS 13.2.1 updated immediately (no need to close Safari and re-open. Every text on every site was gloriously bolded!

* { font-weight: bold !important }

The idea is laid out pretty well in this video if you need a step by step:

Super easy!

Reactions: baxterboy

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Ok, so I researched this a bit more for you. You can use a custom style sheet while in Safari, under the SAFARI menu, then PREFERENCES, then ADVANCED, then STYLE SHEET.

Essentially, you create a TextEdit doc, change it to plain text, enter the below line (starting with the *) on the first line, then save it to your documents folder as "bold.css". Finally, go to the Safari preferences above and choose your bold.css style sheet. My M1 Macbook Air running MacOS 13.2.1 updated immediately (no need to close Safari and re-open. Every text on every site was gloriously bolded!

* { font-weight: bold !important }

The idea is laid out pretty well in this video if you need a step by step:

Super easy!
This is very informative. Thanks.
And the Macmost guy is really good at explaining and demonstrating complex content for the uninitiated (ie. dummies like me).

While I will definitely be using this, there's just one thing that relates to the specific websites I was talking about (which you'll note in the post above your last post) - the specific websites were in chrome rather than safari.

On a side note, it's frustrating to constantly have to switch browsers because the visual difference between sites in chrome and safari is strikingly different eg.

The higher magnification and omissions of this page in chrome:

replay1.png

The same page in safari:
replay2.png

Attachments

• replay1.png
    replay1.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 84

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I definitely did miss the part about Chrome. My bad. I'm confused though, you want to use Chrome? Or you want to use Safari?

Regardless, there's a zoom function within Chrome also, under the CHROME menu, then PREFERENCES and APPEARANCE. I'll point out that there are different settings for PAGE ZOOM and FONT SIZE. Page zoom will increase the elements and the text at the same time. Font size sometimes zooms things in, and sometimes doesn't, just like in Safari. That's what makes using another css is nice.

Lastly, I do not see any missing elements or omissions, but maybe I'm missing something. To me, it looks simply like Safari is at the default size, whereas Chrome is zoomed in to something.

PS. Your screenshot looks like an older version of Safari. Maybe it could be that the website itself has been re-coded for modern browsers and is displaying properly on Chrome, while your version of Safari is no longer considered "modern" enough and is showing a simplified/generic rendering of the page. Not sure if you can find your Safari version vs Chrome version (and MacOS version for that matter).

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
... I'm confused though, you want to use Chrome? Or you want to use Safari?

... Lastly, I do not see any missing elements or omissions, but maybe I'm missing something. To me, it looks simply like Safari is at the default size, whereas Chrome is zoomed in to something.

PS. Your screenshot looks like an older version of Safari. Maybe it could be that the website itself has been re-coded for modern browsers and is displaying properly on Chrome, while your version of Safari is no longer considered "modern" enough and is showing a simplified/generic rendering of the page. Not sure if you can find your Safari version vs Chrome version (and MacOS version for that matter).

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I always preferred safari. Then one year after I installed a new version of it, an annoying certificate pop kept coming up everytime I went to a website.
It was really annoying so I started using chrome and got used to it.

I'm slowly trying to return to safari (the certificate pop ups are rarer now).
I'm sure the safari I'm using is older Version 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5) but I'm apprehensive about installing a late one (older mac air)

Some sites, like the example site in the post, appear different from one browser to the next.
As you say the image in the post on chrome looks zoomed but i didn't zoom it. Its fine in safari.
Now look at this web page in chrome that I designed:

chrome image.png

Now check it out in safari. You'll notice the L at the end of Commercial has dropped down a line. (Yet on the safari on the iphone and in chrome on iphone the image is fine).

safari image.png

Go figure. Btw is there a head spinning emoji on here? ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.