Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecstaticax

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Hi, I am a proud owner of iPad Pro 12,9", and I love it.
I've only a problem. I like to use the suggested word system as I type with Smart Keyboard, but sometimes it hints a mistaken word. Do you know if there's any shortcut on Smart Keyboard to cancel the suggested word and type the one I want, otherwise I need to use fingers to click on the small "x" to manually cancel that word and go on typing. Thanks!

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Not sure, but I know you don't have to hit the little x, you just have to press anywhere in the bubble. I don't think there is a shortcut as Apple didn't put an escape key on the keyboard.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I end up hitting the grave's accent key where the ESC could would've been - make some tick marks then I have to backspace/delete and continue on.

Sucks. That or I just hit the word in the "" but that ruins my momentum when typing.

ecstaticax

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for replying. At least I'm not the only one with this problem. Sadly I find myself to press the missing-ESC key (actually ~ on iPad Pro keyboard). I think that Apple could give us a CMD-something shortcut to help our hands not to leave the keyboard while typing.
Another problem I have found is the capital letter at the beginning or after a full stop. If I don't want to use it, I have to type two letters and then delete the capital one, for example:

"I bought an iPad. iPad is a wonderful tablet."

When I start typing the "i" of iPad is capital and even if I press the shift key, it goes on with capital anyway. I have to type "Ii" and then delete the I.
Very bad imho.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
This might help you guys:

If you want to BACKSPACE/DELETE - it's CONTROL H
If you want to delete entire word, it's OPTION DELETE
If you want symbols, it's OPTION (any key)
[doublepost=1459414108][/doublepost]
This might help you guys:

If you want to BACKSPACE/DELETE - it's CONTROL H
If you want to delete entire word, it's OPTION DELETE
If you want symbols, it's OPTION (any key)

Nevermind, these only work in the NOTES app.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Here's some of the shortcuts I use a lot for selecting and editing text with the Smart Keyboard.
They work in every app I've tried so far, so I think they may be system wide.

Hold Shift and Arrows Left/Right - Select one character at a time

Hold Option & Shift and Arrows Left/Right - Select one word at a time

Hold Control & Shift and Arrows Left/Right - Select entire sentence

Hold Option and Arrows Left/Right - Move one word at a time

Hold Control or Command and Arrows Left/Right - Move to start or end of sentence

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.