Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Here I am trying to decide if to upgrade to a MacBook Air, from my iPad Air II. Well it dawned on me I could just get a Smart keyboard for my iPad Air II.

But, NO Apple decided to make one spend more money and thus I'd need to upgrade to an iPad Pro.

Ugh, honestly...

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
You can still get a keyboard, that connects to a device that does the same thing. Don't see the barrier here, other than it not being Apple branded.

Reactions: RevTEG

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Here I am trying to decide if to upgrade to a MacBook Air, from my iPad Air II. Well it dawned on me I could just get a Smart keyboard for my iPad Air II.

But, NO Apple decided to make one spend more money and thus I'd need to upgrade to an iPad Pro.

Ugh, honestly...

I'm not sure what you are talking about. With the Air there are plenty keyboard cases available, just not the one Apple decided to build years later.

Reactions: RevTEG

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
The apple smart keyboard is one of the best though.. i have it myself, doesn't take a lot of space, and could almost blind type instantly.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It's not like Apple did it for no reason. The port that the Smart Keyboard connects to is not on the Air 2. Both the connector and the keyboard were made after the Air 2 was released.

Reactions: jgelin and circatee

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It's not like Apple did it for no reason. The port that the Smart Keyboard connects to is not on the Air 2. Both the connector and the keyboard were made after the Air 2 was released.

Correct. The reason the port is not on the Air 2 ist that Apple had debuted it years later, starting with the Pro.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The apple smart keyboard is one of the best though.. i have it myself, doesn't take a lot of space, and could almost blind type instantly.

I personally would prefer the Logitech keyboards but the Apple one is nice too. Logitech has their keys to go which seems like a detached cousin of the Apple keys.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
...maybe like others have said, I need to review (test in Best Buy), the Logitech keyboards.
But, I keep thinking to myself, an upgrade to a MacBook Air, might be a better long term option...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It surely is always a good idea to test some stuff out first. On my Air 2 I use a Logitech keyboard case, which is a bit dull because it's grey but connects to the iPad very quickly via Bluetooth, and very reliably too. I'm sure the market is full of options right now. The MacBook Air hasn't been updated in a while, I think, make sure you like the screen. I prefer a retina screen these days, but for basic computing needs the low-res MacBook Air might do fine.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
...with the keyboard connected to your iPad, do you ever use the iPad, as an iPad, i.e. without the keyboard?
If so, any struggles removing the keyboard, etc.? Thanks

It surely is always a good idea to test some stuff out first. On my Air 2 I use a Logitech keyboard case, which is a bit dull because it's grey but connects to the iPad very quickly via Bluetooth, and very reliably too. I'm sure the market is full of options right now. The MacBook Air hasn't been updated in a while, I think, make sure you like the screen. I prefer a retina screen these days, but for basic computing needs the low-res MacBook Air might do fine.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
No struggles at all, it is very easy to remove. Only the upper left and right corners are held by the case I use, you can take it off or put it back on in less than 5 seconds. I use the iPad maybe 40% of the time without the case, especially for gaming and reading. I know that removing the case is a longer procedure with Logitech's iPad Pro cases though, because the iPad is held deeper in the Pro cases.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.