Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IceMan30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
After recently upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.6 (Late 2009 iMac), things don't look quite right in Disk Utility.

When I open DU, I now only see one internal volume (where there used to be 2: I believe they were the root plus the formatted partition). The volume that appears now does not show an option to indicate SMART status anymore. Further, when I run First Aid, I get a popup warning that "You are about to run First Aid against the volume that is currently booted..." This is a new message for me, did not see this on earlier OS versions.

Some quick research suggests SMART status not being available could be due to an intermittently failing drive. I'm hoping someone on here has some better news. Any thoughts? I don't know much about life expectancy of HDDs, but this is the original drive, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks!

Sidebar: I stopped upgrading at 10.13, as I've read that the late 2009 iMacs don't support 10.14. I've since seen some reports where people pushed ahead to Mojove without any issues. Any thoughts on that?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Find the "View" tool in the upper-left of the toolbar.

Click it.

Choose "View all devices".

Does this cause the disk to appear, as the hierarchical "parent" of the volume(s) on it?

Here's an example showing where the "View" icon is located. This sidebar does NOT show all devices.

944c946a6256bc09c7381320e899e73c.png

See the Tip, under the heading "Partition a physical Disk".
https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/partition-a-physical-disk-dskutl14027/16.0/mac/10.13

IceMan30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Yes! Thank you. SMART Status verified, this ol' HDD is still humming along just fine.

I thought I went through all the menu options, but I must have glossed over the View options. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.