Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Does anyone know of a way to remotely reboot an iMac? I've run into cases where I've remote connected in and the iMac has frozen, leaving me with no way to deal with it until I get home to hard reboot it.

I'm thinking maybe using something like the Elgato Eve Switch connected to HomeKit, with the iMac plugged into that, and then using the Eve to kill power to the iMac, turning the Eve's power back on, and then the iMac's "Startup automatically after a power failure" might bring it back to life.

I'm assuming it's more than just me wishing to be able to remotely hard reboot a Mac. Has anyone else had experience in this?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've remote connected in and the iMac has frozen, leaving me with no way to deal with it until I get home to hard reboot it.
If the iMac is hung, then there's no way to remote into it.

I'm thinking maybe using something like the Elgato Eve Switch connected to HomeKit, with the iMac plugged into that, and then using the Eve to kill power to the iMac, turning the Eve's power back on, and then the iMac's "Startup automatically after a power failure" might bring it back to life.
Does your iMac keep hanging?

cpenner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
If the iMac is hung, then there's no way to remote into it.

Does your iMac keep hanging?

Not normally, no. But I'm going to be away for a month and I need access to remote into my iMac frequently during that time. I have had the iMac freeze while using TeamViewer once, and attempts to remote in using other apps (Parallels Access, LogMeIn) to fix TeamViewer proved futile because the entire iMac was hung. There was no fix except a hard reboot.

Now, I can't really deal with this while I am away for a month, and I'm just trying to be proactive in having a solution for the off chance this happens while I am away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.