Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiggum

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Video Link…. And some good stuff below….

Backstory:

I have been tinkering with HomeKit for a while now, and have quite a lot of accessories throughout the home. We recently bought a new house, and since moving in I have been gradually trying to automate our life in an efficient and cost savings way. Reddit got me going on Shelly 1/ Shelly 2.5’s, and after that I started chasing sensors to trigger those switches. All in all, I ended up with:

(2) Schlage Sense Locks

(1) Honeywell Lyric Panel w/ Sensors

(1) Meross Garage Door Opener

(2) Meross Smart Switch

(1) Meross Dimmer Switch

(5) First Alert One Link Alarms

(12) Shelly 1 Switches

(8) Shelly 2.5 Switches

(2) Ecobee 3 w/ (4) Smart Sensors

(8) Meross Smart Plug Mini

(8) Wyze Plug

(1) Sony X900H TV

(3) Apple TV 4K

(1) Apple TV HD

(3) AirPort Extreme 6th Generation

(2) HomePod Mini

Which included:

4 Glass Break Sensors

9 Window Open Sensors

4 Door Open Sensors

1 Garage Door Open Sensor

7 Motion Sensors

6 Occupancy Sensors

6 Temperature Sensors

5 CO2 Sensors

5 Smoke Sensors

After doing all of this with relatively good success and connectivity, I decided that shades would be my next project. All of the aforementioned accessories are listed to show my familiarity with HomeKit, so if you are on the fence, this is my approximate skill level.

I looked around at the obvious choices, Serena Shades, IKEA, etc, and looked at what my options would be considering the window size. Lots of this is solely opinion….. Serena is too expensive, IKEA looks a little cheap (it is cheap) and doesn’t have the fabric choices that would match our decor. I was digging around a thread on Reddit about shades, and someone mentioned SmartWingsHome. So i went to the site, liked the look, liked the price, and started digging a little deeper. I could not find a single review, from Reddit to YouTube. All I found was their company published information…

So what the heck right? I sent them an e-mail and inquired about the shades. I did find out they are a relatively new company with a background of employees from Somfy and Hunter Douglas. I was very to the point, basically saying I am really interested in the shades but without any user feedback it is giving me reservations. Furthermore, this reservation is probably not just myself. At that point I offered to write a written review / video unboxing review of the shades for a discount on a set for the bottom level of my home. Specifically….. I DID NOT GET THESE FOR FREE…. This is an actual account of my experience from someone who still wrote a decent check, discount aside.

Ordering:

Very straight forward. We went with the 70% Blackout Linen Shades. 5 of them in the “Sand” color, 2 of them in the “White” color. They are very similar in color, the website has a very accurate depiction of the actual product. Video of the shades in action and coloring coming soon. Obviously I went with the HomeKit motors, which it turns out are the Xiaoyan / Terncy motors. You do need at least 1 remote control no matter how many shades you order, you will use it for programming the stop/raise limit. For the valence, we did the cassette w/ fabric insert, you’ll see those in the video as well, definitely gives the product a finished look. Pay attention to motor side… this is just personal preference, I would do the side that is closer to a power outlet from my brief experience. We did the inside mount, and used the measuring guidelines from their website to provide them with the correct information.

How To Measure Guide

I did not choose to do the solar option, but SmartWingsHome did send me some to try out. I haven’t plugged any in yet, I’ll give them a shot next week. When you order, you can provide a name of the shade (Kitchen, Left, etc) which is useful because they do label them with this information when they ship them to you.

Shipping:

They advertise 5 business days to produce the shades after they receive the order. My experience was exactly 5 days on the nose. On day 6, I got a shipping confirmation from UPS (MyChoice) and from SmartWingsHome direct. They were shipping from Hong Kong. Day 6, they didn’t move much…. But Day 7 was fun. They left Hong Kong, and went to Anchorage. I was watching the flight on FlightRadar (really just wondering can these really be to me in 2 days from HK?). They were in Anchorage for a couple hours, and then went to Kentucky.

Image.png

I watched that one for a little fun, and then let UPS do their thing. Sure enough, 3 days later, they were on my front doorstep from UPS. So my experience was 9 business days from the initial order, or 13 calendar days.

Packaging. The Shades are packed very well… they use some form of bubble wrap I have not seen before… and you can tell they have put some time and effort into ensuring these arrive in the US harm free. You will also see the label on the outside of each box with the room label on it… this is very useful. In the box your will find mounting hardware, and any accessories you asked for such as a remote w/ mount, solar panel, etc. You will also find a full set of instructions in one of your boxes, as well as a 10ft USB-C cable in one of your boxes (very well thought out, 10FT is going to be handy for a recharge).

Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

Image_4.jpeg

Installation:

First and foremost,I am relatively handy around the house and 4 wood screws are not going to intimidate me much. Removed all shades, placed the mounting brackets 4 inches from either side as the instructions specify, and screwed them in. Shades pop into place in a second or 2, and you are done. By the 4th window, I was down to around 5 minutes per window total install time, very simple. The instructions next say to hold the power button for 2 seconds to wake the motor (they send it in sleep mode so it doesn’t trigger during shipping), and then it is basically ready to go. We dropped the shade most of the way down, then followed the instructions with the remote to set the lower limit, then raised to and set the upper limit. Just remember to set the remote to the proper channel, and you are good to go. You do need to ensure that if you have matching windows, that the lower limit is identical. If you don’t, when you ask siri to raise them to 50%, they do 50% of the total length, and they don’t be even. Just take your time with the lower limit. Scanned them with HomeKit (they put the code on the top of the shade, and the lower part for ease of scanning. HomeKit picked them right up, they connected via Bluetooth, and without hiccup they were paired. I did group my rooms in HomeKit so they open/close together, I’d recommend that. For the sake of looking, I did check the DB’s of the motors in action to help identify if I would consider them noisy. I would not. My home sits around 39db according to the iPhone, which is just residual noise. At 6ft, the motors opening take that out to 50db. Closing was down to 47db. I would not consider the motor noise an annoyance by any stretch.

Image_5.jpeg

Image_6.jpeg

Initial impressions:

Fabric feels nice, not cheap. I do need to reach out to SmartWings and ask how to clean them should they get some dirt on them. Fitment was great, probably ties back to getting them accurate measurements. The extra cost for the premium valence is worth every penny. I have not had any HomeKit issues yet, they have responded as they should, and have moved during automation times without issue. I can say that they haven’t always been in sync, but I don’t attribute that to the shades. I have multiple lamps that are grouped together and when I command Siri to turn them off, they don’t always hit at exactly the same time.

I really only have 1 complaint, and that is the 4 wood screws they provide are very cheap. One bent, one wasn’t produced correctly, and 1 bent during install despite going into pre drilled wood. I would appreciate magnetic screws that were slightly better quality.

I have 1 concern, and that is that they snap in place with a plastic piece that is spring loaded. Now I do not plan on removing these things over and over, but if I did, that would concern me.

Overall, very happy with the product. I’ll use them for the next few weeks and report back my thoughts…. If you guys have any questions please let me know….

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just went on the website after seeing this. I’m actually in the market for HomeKit roller shades. I spec’d out a shade that showed it was $280. Great. Then when I put it in the cart, the price jumped up to $630 😳.

Not sure why it’s doing that but $630 is nuts for a 21” w x 22” h window covering lol. Not many extras except for the HomeKit motor and required remote (5 ch).

For reference, it’s just the one of a series of windows (far left or far right sized). I’d need a roller for all five of these.

1655874807062.jpeg

explosive0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Houston
I just went on the website after seeing this. I’m actually in the market for HomeKit roller shades. I spec’d out a shade that showed it was $280. Great. Then when I put it in the cart, the price jumped up to $630 😳.

Not sure why it’s doing that but $630 is nuts for a 21” w x 22” h window covering lol. Not many extras except for the HomeKit motor and required remote (5 ch).

For reference, it’s just the one of a series of windows (far left or far right sized). I’d need a roller for all five of these.

View attachment 2022089
Weird. Doesn't sound right. Reach out to support and they should be helpful. I was able to order shades for 10 windows for ~$2500. I even asked someone for chat for a discount and they provided a little discount too.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Weird. Doesn't sound right. Reach out to support and they should be helpful. I was able to order shades for 10 windows for ~$2500. I even asked someone for chat for a discount and they provided a little discount too.
Spoke to chat earlier today and they also said it looks like a problem. Ill just use other means to order. Thanks for the tip on the discount. I’ll ask but I won’t mention it’s been done before. Yes or no, I won’t be upset either way.

explosive0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Houston
Spoke to chat earlier today and they also said it looks like a problem. Ill just use other means to order. Thanks for the tip on the discount. I’ll ask but I won’t mention it’s been done before. Yes or no, I won’t be upset either way.
You should mention - they said to feel free to tell friends or family to ask for the 10% discount they shared. It's insane how fast they are - I placed my order on the 22nd, and they shipped out already. Estimated delivery is the 29th.

Reactions: Itinj24

cparker2

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2023
Great review. I recently ordered my first roller shade, to try on one window before jumping in for the remaining 12. I noticed that the fabric is about 1/2 inch out of center. (Inside mounted). SmartWings has said nothing can be done as the zigbee motor is on one side causing a shift. Have you noticed this in any of your installations? The cassette is a perfect fit, maybe 1/8 inch on either side wiggle room.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I just installed 8 of these in roller fabric in our home with the Home Kit over thread motors and solar panels. They were easy to install and work great with the remote. We have a ton of UV where I live at 8,000 feet in the Rockies so the solar panels are keeping them topped off great so far.

I went for the promotion that took a good portion of the list price and included a free Home Pod Mini which we get tomorrow.

I do have other Apple Home Kit stuff running like a couple of Meross LED bulbs in lamps and all of our Lutron Caseta items but I am still green regarding Home Kit setup and optimization. For example, one of our Meross bulbs is no longer responding to Home Kit but does fine on the Meross app. Same with two of the 8 roller shades, two are already unresponsive.

I would like this to run a bit better so anyone know of any good tutorials on home Kit?

By the way, SmartWings just announced a new Thread over Matter motor which is really where all this smart home stuff is going. Before I purchased our shades, I made sure to find out if they can be updated to work with Matter in the future with a FW update and they can.

There are reviews out there now on these and most folks are really happy with the product and service.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.