Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Need some help with deciding which system I should use for Smart Lights.

- I have used Sengled in the past and Lights were great, only issue that I have been having is that Sengled Hub will go offline, and I would simply not be able to turn the lights via App. Only way to fix it was to completely reinstall and re-connect everything. I even tried with the smart plug where I would turn off and then on the Hub daily but that did not work out. I have tried 2 different Hubs and still was getting the same issue.

- So I have decided to switch to Philips. One of the issues that I am having with the Philips is that Light will not remember Brightness Level once I turn it off/on with the Light Switch. There is a option (Settings->Light>Power On) where you can go and Select "Last On" "Power Loss Recovery" and "Custom" but even with them selected I have lights which are just going back to 100%. Its not every single time but at least once per day so far, I would turn the switch on and the light would go back to 100% brightness.

- So I have decided to go and get Lutron Hub and Smart Switch

- Even with the Lutron Smart Switch (Natural Wire Connected) with the Lutron Hub, sometimes Light goes back to 100% .

So I have two questions:

- Should this be the case?
- Is there a system that actually works, where if I set the Brightens to 30% it would stay like that regardless how often I turn it on/off my switch. It can be combination of smart lights or switched I don't care as long as it works.

- I am looking for system that works and that I don't need to re-set every day.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Assuming you are using with HomeKit (because I don’t see mention of it in your post), I am using Philips Hue light bulbs with the LIFX switch. The LIFX switch is more of a scene controller than a traditional switch although it can be used as both, for smart bulbs/devices and dumb bulb devices. It’s always powered as it wires in like a traditional switch (neutral required).

The LIFX switch has two or four buttons (depending on which model) and each button has three actions- short press, long press and double press. The best part of these is you can configure them to always send power to the smart bulbs so while they appear off, they are still connected and responding in HomeKit. I have the buttons configured as such: single press turns the Hue light on to 100% on adaptive lighting. Double press turns them to 50% on adaptive lighting for an easy on the eyes dimmed room and long press is 10% on adaptive lighting for a night light effect. You’re probably asking, well how do I turn the lights off. This is where these switches really shine. You can get creative with “convert to shortcut.” I also have it so that if the lights are on, a single press turns them off and vice versa. The remaining buttons on the switch can do whatever you want. I have mine controlling lights in another room, the roller shades, any other HomeKit device.

This will not be a cheap setup but it works a treat. I also think, in my opinion , these switches look great. The led rings encircling the button can be changed color and brightness wise to match your decor. The haptic feedback vibration can also be adjusted in intensity.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.