Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi,

I’ve got an iPhone XS which has a smashed screen with 10 days left on my AppleCare coverage.

Just wondered, what will they do if I go in with it for repair? Replace the screen or replace the phone with a refurb?

Thanks
Stewart

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Based on anecdotes I read online regarding repairs, I'm guessing there are 2 scenarios:
1. They will check if the rest of the components are fine, and then simply do a screen replacement.
2. If there are other components that got compromised or will be compromised if they did the repair, you'll get a refurb/new phone.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got an iPhone XS which has a smashed screen with 10 days left on my AppleCare coverage.

Just wondered, what will they do if I go in with it for repair? Replace the screen or replace the phone with a refurb?

Thanks
Stewart
It’ll be an instore screen replacement should the rest of the phone pass diagnostics.

My iPhone 11 touchscreen failed under warranty and they replaced the screen in store and calibrated it and because they used the same glue as the factory it’s still water resistant. Process takes about 90 mins.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hi,

Thanks
Stewart
More than likely it will just be a screen replacement.

They will still run the diagnostic and make sure other test are passed.

The only time they will replace with a new replacement device is 1. They botched your screen repair or if the frame of your device is compromised or if there is water damage.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Screen replacement.

Took my XS Max in the other day that has AC+ that runs out end of the month.
had a crack in the screen. passed all tests and screen was replaced within an hour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.