Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrammy91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hi all

After 5 years of careful use I have finally done the unthinkable and dropped my beloved Macbook Pro, smashing the corner into oblivion.

The corner of the body has an unsightly wound, but I can live with that - however the lid has also sustained damage, bending it out of shape, and smashing the screen. (See photo)

IMG_9156.JPG

1. I can't see any LCD damage atm, no leakage etc, but perhaps someone could advise from the photo whether that's likely to come? If not - is this a simple repair of changing the glass panel?

2. Any suggestions on fixing the lid? I haven't seen a whole lot of them for sale on eBay either, perhaps I could attempt to hammer it back into position - would prefer a new lid though! Does anyone know whether I could buy any of the 13" models lids, and put a Late 2011 screen inside them? I would expect Apple have made some minor changes preventing this lol.

3. Failing everything, I guess I could run an extended monitor lead from my TV to the body of my MBP. Hopefully Apple will invent a wireless monitor connection soon :p

Cheers for any help!

James

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hi all

After 5 years of careful use I have finally done the unthinkable and dropped my beloved Macbook Pro, smashing the corner into oblivion.

The corner of the body has an unsightly wound, but I can live with that - however the lid has also sustained damage, bending it out of shape, and smashing the screen. (See photo)

View attachment 727239

3. Failing everything, I guess I could run an extended monitor lead from my TV to the body of my MBP. Hopefully Apple will invent a wireless monitor connection soon :p

Cheers for any help!

James

They did...Apple TV.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You have to replace the entire upper case/display assembly to completely fix this. But, other than the look, does it work fine? If so, you could just leave it. We have one with a cracked screen that worked for years until someone spilled water on the keyboard.

jrammy91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2015
You have to replace the entire upper case/display assembly to completely fix this. But, other than the look, does it work fine? If so, you could just leave it. We have one with a cracked screen that worked for years until someone spilled water on the keyboard.
Thanks for the replies all. Do you know whether the LCD extends all the way on Macbook Pros? The main damage being in the corner might not have reached the LCD screen? Part of me thinks that I could buy new front glass and that would fix?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the replies all. Do you know whether the LCD extends all the way on Macbook Pros? The main damage being in the corner might not have reached the LCD screen? Part of me thinks that I could buy new front glass and that would fix?

If the display is working properly than likely it was not effected. But, I don't think you can just replace the front glass. Those are are usually glued together with the rest of the display. This prevents dust from getting behind the glass, but also means you need to replace the entire display or get out a hair gun and melt the glue off, reglue it ....

Reactions: SteveJobzniak

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Echoing the above poster. Wouldn't bother getting this repaired, especially since thus far it only seems like a cosmetic issue. Keep using it as long as it works and save your money for a new machine altogether.

Reactions: TonyK and jerryk

The F

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Hi all

View attachment 727239

1. I can't see any LCD damage atm, no leakage etc, but perhaps someone could advise from the photo whether that's likely to come? If not - is this a simple repair of changing the glass panel?

2. Any suggestions on fixing the lid? I haven't seen a whole lot of them for sale on eBay either, perhaps I could attempt to hammer it back into position - would prefer a new lid though! Does anyone know whether I could buy any of the 13" models lids, and put a Late 2011 screen inside them? I would expect Apple have made some minor changes preventing this lol.

Cheers for any help!

James
I ren
Hi all

View attachment 727239

Cheers for any help!

James
I recently cracked my MacBook as well and took it in for a diagnostic with the “Genius “ at the Apple store. They found no problems but once opened they said they found signs of water damage?! I declined their repair due to the cost. I picked up my MacBook and now it willnot turn on and the keyboard will not physically function. I was going to buy a display off of ebay and install myself but now with the the additional damage. I bought a laptop at Best Buy and for an additional $134 it is covered for water and accidental drops. Do not buy from the Apple Store and beware of the water scam! Also you can add a rider on your home insurance policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.