Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
On my LAN I currently have three Macs, an M1 iMac, an Intel iMac (2019) and an M1 MBA, all running 13.4.1. I also have a couple of Raspberry Pies, a couple of Apple TVs and an assortment of phones and tablets and IOT devices.

I'm having problems with SMB on the M1 MBA. I can connect via SMB using the Finder from both the iMacs to internal volumes the MBA, but not to any external volumes. For example, there is an external hard drive with two volumes, one of which is named Extra and which has a directory named "Home Movies" which contains a single file "Around The World 1977.mp4". I can log on to the M1 MBA via SSH and look at that directory:

Code:
Sellotape:.ssh mnewman$ ssh hatchet
Last login: Wed Aug 23 12:08:43 2023 from 192.168.0.76
Hatchet:~ mnewman$ ls /volumes/Extra/home\ movies
Around The World 1977.mp4

But, if I try to use the Finder to look at that same directory, I get the following error message:

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Extra” can’t be found.

This happens when connecting from both the M1 iMac and the Intel iMac. Both of these machines can mount each other's external drives via the Finder using SMB.

Even this works:

Code:
Sellotape:.ssh mnewman$ open "smb://valentine.local/valex/media/tv shows"

Same problem with VNC on the Apple TV. It can discover the volumes on the M1 MBA but fails when you try to connect to any external volume.

Clearly, I've done something wrong when setting up SMB on the M1 MBA, but have no idea what it is.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.