Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
After I updated my home server to 14.5 SMB became unstable. I was receiving huge lags (from a Linux client) and was unable to browse shares on my Mac clients (from El Cap to Mojave). Finder had trouble enumerating number of items within folders, up to the extent of showing 0 items inside a populated folder or even becoming unresponsive.
Fixed this by disabling SMB packet signing, this worked only after I turned off file sharing altogether and then rebooted:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired -bool FALSE
Note that the above command is geared towards MacOS Server, if you are not using Server but just plain file sharing, it should be:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired -bool FALSE[/instead]
Perhaps this helps somebody with similar issue.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
After I updated my home server to 14.5 SMB became unstable. I was receiving huge lags (from a Linux client) and was unable to browse shares on my Mac clients (from El Cap to Mojave). Finder had trouble enumerating number of items within folders, up to the extent of showing 0 items inside a populated folder or even becoming unresponsive.
Fixed this by disabling SMB packet signing, this worked only after I turned off file sharing altogether and then rebooted:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired -bool FALSE
Note that the above command is geared towards MacOS Server, if you are not using Server but just plain file sharing, it should be:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server SigningRequired -bool FALSE[/instead]
Perhaps this helps somebody with similar issue.

Sadly, this didn't work for me here (I changed both files as I have server on here, but typically don't use it right now, but use the Mini to serve my whole house media system, which mostly consists of devices running KODI (FireTV and NVidia Shield) and various AppleTV units (one gen 2 unit,one gen 3 unit and one gen 4K unit). It freezes every 18-19 minutes in KODI now while playing a movie (used to work fine in El Capitan). You have to exit and start playing it again and it then starts freezing up again 18-19 minutes later like clockwork.

I just upgraded my 2012 Mini to Mojave 10.14.5 from El Capitan and instantly I'm having SMB issues with my NVidia Shield running KODI Krypton. The server pauses or is having some kind of difficulty from what I read and that causes KODI to freeze up. It's absolutely unacceptable behavior from macOS and the weird thing is that hardly ANYONE online has noticed or is talking about it. This is one of the few threads I've found along with another one that claims Apple is aware of the problem (which apparently only did this specific behavior as of 10.14.5 (10.14.4 apparently did not) and they "claim" they will fix it in the next update, but god that could possibly be MONTHS away. So in the meantime I'm supposed to just not use my video library with KODI in my home theater? Ridiculous.

The only solution I can think of is to take my external backup and put El Capitan back on the drive (or boot off the external backup for now and hope it has no issues as it's the only backup I have of it). That's a shame because I had some serious problems with Mojave I don't want to go through again (i.e. I upgraded my Mini to a 2TB SSD and when I turned on trim support it wouldn't be any longer. I had to create a Mojave USB recovery stick and run disk utility first aid and then it still wouldn't boot (even with a manual terminal 'bless') until I used the Apple startup selector from the recovery stick (with no instructions anywhere on the Earth to explain this sort of issue despite reading god knows how many threads on trim control, etc.). Why add Trim? My ~500MB/sec write time dropped to 120MB/sec after 'upgrading' to Mojave. Once it booted finally with trim turned on, it's back up to ~500 again (oddly the Windows 10 Boot Camp partition I created just before upgrading to Mojave worked fine during all that).

Also, SmbUP no longer appears to work with Mojave (I tried re-installing it; NADA). You'd think that given Apple has largely abandoned AFP that having a really good SMB implementation would be a priority for Apple, but it has never worked in ANY version (outside Samba with SmbUP when it worked) like a Windows SMB. In KODI, you can't just select the SMB directory. You have to make a manual pointer to the local location instead (e.g. SMB://192.x.x) and then the directories will show up. The Mojave install also disabled NFS once again (you have to go in with a recovery partition and turn off the system protection thing to fix the file name that it resets when you upgrade or it won't work at all. It's hard to believe that OS X Server actually used to directly support NFS and now Apple does everything in its power to make sure your networking doesn't work right AT ALL. No wonder Windows users hate Macs.

Now that I have Windows 10 Boot Camp installed, I'm actually tempted to Network off it instead, but of course my media drives are on HFS+ formatted drives so I'd have to either get an extra drive and copy them over to another filesystem one at a time back and forth OR buy a program to let Windows read HFS+ (since after all these years Apple and Microsoft still can't agree to talk to each other's filesystems properly. The Mac can READ NTFS, but it can't write to it without some extra program (which I bought Tuxera, but that doesn't help on the Windows side to read HFS+ media volumes, let alone when Apple goes all out with APFS in the next version of macOS).

Such a PITA to just run a media server.....

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I went ahead and spent hours rescanning, labeling and choosing artwork again for KODI to use NFS instead of SMB (and I had to use a recovery boot to disable SIP to import the plist file from El Capitan (Mojave didn't change the file this time; it erased it entirely. I don't think Apple wants people using NFS. Too damn bad!) I've got to test it to make sure it's stable with a movie later today for the entire movie length, but it is running now under Mojave OK so far.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Well, that didn't help one bit. It paused/froze with NFS also.... It must be something else, either in the new OS or possibly the NVidia Shield or its last upgrade. I'll try booting from the old hard drive and OS and see if that makes any difference.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Try it. I eventually switched back to NFS (with some heavy SQL work in order to not rescan all of my media library) as even with some corrections the SMB stack in Mojave just wasn't able to keep up with Kodi and three other (Apple) computers connected to a fileserver. I used Marcel Bresink's NFS Manager to set up all the shares.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Try it. I eventually switched back to NFS (with some heavy SQL work in order to not rescan all of my media library) as even with some corrections the SMB stack in Mojave just wasn't able to keep up with Kodi and three other (Apple) computers connected to a fileserver. I used Marcel Bresink's NFS Manager to set up all the shares.

I went ahead and upgraded my KODI installs to 18.3 Leia (Xonfluence works with it as it turns out; I hate the default skin), which supports SMB3. I also put Mac Drive on Windows 10 (and have Tuxera on Mojave) so it can read the Mac media drives. Now I can switch between Windows 10 and macOS Mojave and my Kodi boxes couldn't care less which is running (at least in an access way) as they share the same physical address, the shares look the same to KODI either way. SMB3 is faster than SMB1 so I'm hoping that might solve the weirdness with some movies as well (won't know until I try several). I did notice that at least in Windows 10, I can now play my lossless music library over the network without it skipping like it did before. I have to try it next with Mojave serving to see if it works any better there as well with SMB3. Leia fixed something that my external ProjectM app can now start/play without any skips or crashes either on my FireTV 4K and the built-in version works with my NVidia Shield (good thing since its ProjectM separate app was unstable).

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I realise this is technically different but it might help...
After a recent Mojave update one of my Macs could no longer access files on another Mac on the network. It even froze Finder. When I looked at Settings/Sharing on the other Mac I had only selected certain folders for sharing (including ones I was trying to access). When I removed these from the list and turned sharing off then on the problem was resolved. In other words, partial sharing seemed to cause the problem.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
@jasnw - That's interesting and definitely seems to confirm SMB3 is the way to go (if it's not having a technical issue). All the NFS stuff I was doing was reading, so that explains why it seemed to do a bit better than SMB1.

Meanwhile, out of about 10 songs, it skipped twice briefly (audio cuts out and then back in within a second) over the network in macOS Mojave (that's actually quite an improvement, but obviously not as good as none, which it gets when it plays music locally on an attached drive). I didn't run that many songs in Windows 10 so I'll have to test it again later. Playing music over AppleTV (iTunes sharing) almost never skips and if it does, it's probably the WiFi connection getting interference or something. It'll take awhile to test movies enough to know if there's any issue still as well.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
As I thought, the sporadic skips apparently only happen in the Mac operating system (this only happened with music, not movies/videos). It plays back just fine from Windows 10 using KODI 18.3. I'm curious what causes it specifically from the Mac side, but I doubt I'll ever know (Team KODI has no interest in looking into it as far as I can tell).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.