Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It seems the issue was the NAS itself. It did not have enough power for an external drive that size. With a different NAS, I have not seen this problem so far.

________

Up until recently, it was all working fine - copying files from my Mac M1 to my mini-NAS via Samba. I can still access all the files, but I can't longer save them to the NAS.

Now, every now and then, I randomly get "Finder wants to move XXX - Touch ID or enter your password to allow this."

When I do, I then get: "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items."

Which items? What permissions? Why is this happening all of a sudden? ?

I did not change anything on my end.

What can I do?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mjturner

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Godalming, United Kingdom
Hi! Where would I find nsbm.conf? What does changing the protocol version do?
It's on your Mac, in /etc (note that the filename is nsmb.conf as the OP indicated). You almost certainly won't have a file there already so you'll need to create it from scratch.

Changing the protocol version to 6 enables support for both SMB 2.0 and 3.0. See the nsmb.conf manual page for more information.

Reactions: madonnaragu

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It's on your Mac, in /etc (note that the filename is nsmb.conf as the OP indicated). You almost certainly won't have a file there already so you'll need to create it from scratch.

Changing the protocol version to 6 enables support for both SMB 2.0 and 3.0. See the nsmb.conf manual page for more information.

OK, so I tried that and it still does not work. :(

What else can I try?

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Does anyone have any advice? I can't save any files to SMB, even with the latest macOS update.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Update:

The SMB share is accessible from several of my devices - including PC & Mac. Saving to it from Windows works, but not from my Mac.

When I checked the dedicated app for the NAS, it says "Disk read only()" & "HDD Error. Please connect the NasiCloud to PC via USB port and repair the disk".

I have already tried that, on both PC and Mac. No errors returned, it still does not work from my Mac.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It seems the issue was the NAS itself. It did not have enough power for an external drive that size. With a different NAS, I have not seen this problem so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.