Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2018
Hello everyone!

MacBook Pro 15'

I'm currently trying to set up an (smb) external hard drive / share folders to my router (ASUS RT A68CU). I have successfully set up my SAMBA / shares folders on my router via my external hard drive (I hope).

When attempting to connect to server (Command K), I input server address (smb:// etc) and then I sign in via registered user. Once completed, I can see my folders. I click on one, then get the following:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "_____". The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name and then try again."

I also have tried (cifs:// etc) with no success. I then try connecting via "Shared" folder labeled "dd-wrt". I also see my shared folders there. I connect as "registered user". Once complete, after a few seconds of being inside one of my folders, the folder quickly closes out and I get the following:

" The operation can't be completed because the original item for "___" can't be found."

I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

techguy500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2018
Hello everyone!

MacBook Pro 15'

I'm currently trying to set up an (smb) external hard drive / share folders to my router (ASUS RT A68CU). I have successfully set up my SAMBA / shares folders on my router via my external hard drive (I hope).

When attempting to connect to server (Command K), I input server address (smb:// etc) and then I sign in via registered user. Once completed, I can see my folders. I click on one, then get the following:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "_____". The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name and then try again."

I also have tried (cifs:// etc) with no success. I then try connecting via "Shared" folder labeled "dd-wrt". I also see my shared folders there. I connect as "registered user". Once complete, after a few seconds of being inside one of my folders, the folder quickly closes out and I get the following:

" The operation can't be completed because the original item for "___" can't be found."

I feel like I'm missing a step somewhere. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

With further research, I don't know if this means much but this is what I'm seeing in the console for smb. Would this help explain anything?

checkForDfsReferral: mounting dfs url failed, syserr = No such file or directory

smb_mount: mount failed to "ip"/share folder name, syserr = No such file or directory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.