Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
I bumped an old thread related to this issue earlier today, but figured it prudent to make another to bring more attention to this problem while everyone is still within their holiday return periods.

As you may or may not be aware, there's currently an issue that appears to affect all M1 Macs on all versions of Big Sur that Apple hasn't acknowledged yet. It's been reported here on MR as well as Apple's own forums.

The issue can be recreated as follows - open Console on your M1-based Mac. Select "start streaming" and then the tab "errors and faults" to weed out the normal activity. You should see an error populating in rapid succession:

KERNEL - Failed to write key xxxxxxxxxx to SMC with error code 86"

The key numbers, represented by "xxx" above, vary. SMC resets don't appear to solve this, new installs don't solve it, machine replacements and recreating before doing *anything else* after setup - still there!

The very-very-woefully-unqualified techie in me wants to postulate that it could be an Intel-based operation in macOS trying and failing to write to a now nonexistant Intel SMC.

That being said, I don't want to throw gas on the fire as specific error codes pertaining to kernel-level activity are well outside of my knowledge. If you know more about why this might be happening, please chime in! If not, see if it's happening on your machine as well! Across multiple forum threads, I have not once yet witnessed someone who *doesn't* have a Console flooded with this same error, and its been happening since before 11.1 as well so its not something new.

The title of this thread is not intending to be dramatic or start a "-gate," I'm just an M1 owner puzzled by this issue and hopeful to see it resolved via software before the return period is up.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
why open another thread on this?

we do already have a thread concerning exactly this issue? It could have been merged. ?‍♂️

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Other thread was dead, wish I hadn't bumped it. Wanted to have more information in the top post about how to recreate the issue as well as the link to the Apple thread on it.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Other thread was dead, wish I hadn't bumped it. Wanted to have more information in the top post about how to recreate the issue as well as the link to the Apple thread on it.
Last message from saturday and you say dead ;-)

But it's ok. I don't care.

The error will stay the same. As far as I know it's also within actual beta versions.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Last message from saturday and you say dead ;-)

But it's ok. I don't care.

The error will stay the same. As far as I know it's also within actual beta versions.
It does appear to be happening in all versions, yes.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
if you use search option here you will see its already discussed and no fix for this. It's produced from kernel this means we must wait for apple to fix it.
i tried macos 11.2 beta and this patch is a joke and don't fix the problem.

Reactions: bsmr

Ningj

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
The issue is still present in 11.3 beta :oops: Same 3 keys, repeating every second ...

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
So - aside from resulting in some error logs... what terrible things are happening to all and every M1 Mac that is encountering this problem? Why are we returning our machines?

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Sorry for sounding obtuse - it just seems odd to me. Are these computers displaying any "symptoms" like crashes or slow-downs or anything tangible? Is the error code issue the tip of the iceberg - we just don't know what that iceberg is?

Ningj

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
Not specifically. It just makes analysing logs for other issues a little more annoying than it needs to be and is an unnecessary system overhead with 4 or so events logged per second. Feedback has been provided by multiple beta users and would seem to be a trivial issue to solve especially since M1's don't have a System Management Controller (SMC) in the traditional sence.

Ningj

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
Widely reported on by various sources...https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/reset-smc-mac-26444/ - There is a simple reason why you can't reset SMC on M1 Macs - there is no system management controller in the M1 Macs. All functions that were previously handled by the chip are now embedded in the M1 processor, just as they are on the iPhone and iPad, which also do not have a similar reset function.....so not in the traditional sense...

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Widely reported on by various sources...https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/reset-smc-mac-26444/ - There is a simple reason why you can't reset SMC on M1 Macs - there is no system management controller in the M1 Macs. All functions that were previously handled by the chip are now embedded in the M1 processor, just as they are on the iPhone and iPad, which also do not have a similar reset function.....so not in the traditional sense...
I mean someone made a joke about it earlier but you're right, since there is no SMC there can't possibly be an actual issue. Send it to /dev/null if the noisy logs are bothering you.

Ningj

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
As of 11.3 Beta 2, the Feedback Assistant is reporting the issue is set to be fixed in a future OS update. Sadly not in this beta though. Baby steps ...

1613717017822.png

Psychbum

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
---Maybe going a little off topic here, but wanted to share----

I was chatting with apple the other day and SMC can be reset on M1 Macs (apparently).

- Shut down
- Close lid for 30 seconds
- Switch back on

(I laughed because M1 minis do not have the ability to close the lid so was intrigued and this was 1st level tech support that suggested this)

On the same call I was told to shut down and hold cmd+option+R after pressing power to open recovery, I knew this was false but went along and laughed when they said 'hmm, one moment that should work' ?

Its a shame Apple tech don't understand M1 Macs yet...

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
On Linux (and other os’es for that matter) it is always a recurring discussion on how much should be outputted to logs and console. Many warnings are innocent and FYI stuff but users who wouldn’t know better will interpret those as issues with the system. It is either coined for the developers themselves either as reminder or just information, or for users if they care about it. Because it is not documented or people don’t care about the documentation they are alarmed.

Now this is overly excessive of an output but harmless.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I'm still seeing the SMC write error on 11.2.2. I'm also seeing a "Fault" which is worse. It looks like it's a sandbox issue but nothing that I can see that has user control. Not sure if I should report this to Apple or not.

Couldn't read values in CFPrefsPlistSource<0x15a004fc0> (Domain: kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, User: kCFPreferencesCurrentUser, ByHost: No, Container: (null), Contents Need Refresh: Yes): accessing preferences outside an application's container requires user-preference-read or file-read-data sandbox access
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 4.08.10 PM.png

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, it is harmless, but as a programer it is like saying, that misspelling isn't hurting anyone, I'm not going to fix it. In reality if it is nothing, it would take someone 20 seconds to fix. It speaks to quality and overall attitude of the shop.

I say to them, if you don't want to fix it, get the hell off the campus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.