Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tua123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I've been researching about SMCFC and I still see questions that don't have a defined answer. I'm wondering if you guys can help me answer some questions or recommend me an app that does what I'm looking for.

1. When SMCFC is on, the default is at 2000RPM. Let's say the mac starts getting hotter because I'm running several applications. Will SMCFC automatically start spinning the fan's speed faster or will it just stay at 2000 RPM?

2. If I uninstall SMCFC by putting the application into Trash, will I need to reset SMC function of the mac or will it go back to what it used to be.

3. Is SMCFC basically setting the lower limit of what the fan speed can go to? (Similar to the fist question)

Thank you

tua123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Is there another program out there that only sets the lower limit of a fan speed and then mac's smc automatically takes over after is passes that limit.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
That's what SMCFC does. You can set the minimum speed for the fan and the Mac controls the speed after that. If you read the FAQ built into the app you'll find all the info you need.

Quote from the FAQ:-

When I run smcFanControl and set a new minimum speed, will my fan speed still increase if the CPU load gets higher?

Yes, fan speed will increase as defined by Apple. smcFanControl lets the fans stay in automatic mode and just sets the minimum fan speed. However, the higher you set the minimum fan speed, the longer it will take for the fan speed to increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.