Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Release 135 of Safari Technical Preview offers Smooth Scrolling - anyone getting this to work?

On my M1 Macbook pro 14 i have pro motion enabled and testing the UFO test. Not seeing those smooth 120 hz.

Safari Technical Preview can be downloaded here:

Release notes:

1637046014565.png

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Testufo does NOT support Safari. It's not gonna tell you it's 120hz even if it is. Don't rely on that site.
Nice, thanks for that information.

Still, on any other website - i cannot perceive any difference betwixt Technical Preview and normal Safari when it comes to the scrolling.
- Where is the best place to test this?

I dont know, maybe ive gotten too old to see 120 hz at this point. I feel i see it on the mouse movements, but it might be placebo.

TheRain

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
Nice, thanks for that information.

Still, on any other website - i cannot perceive any difference betwixt Technical Preview and normal Safari when it comes to the scrolling.
- Where is the best place to test this?

I dont know, maybe ive gotten too old to see 120 hz at this point. I feel i see it on the mouse movements, but it might be placebo.
Best way to test is probably use Xcode. If you don't want to go through all of that and you just want to see what 120hz scrolling should look like, download something like Dolphin/Puffin browser from the Mac App Store (iPad versions). The difference is quite clear compared to the native browsers.

The inertia scrolling is still terrible in the Technical Preview (really on all the main browsers). Maybe it's changed in the beta release.

Reactions: schertlerbombe

Pro Apple Silicon

Suspended
Oct 1, 2021
Well Macrumors ran an article about this yesterday and deleted it after they realized they misread the release notes and didn't know what they were talking about.

Safari Technology Preview was updated to support 120 Hz animations on SMOOTH SCROLL animation. Smooth is a specific attribute for scroll and it does not mean ALL scrolling.

Create an HTML button that calls scrollTo() function, and add smooth as property to the scroll, and you'll see it scroll at 120 fps. I have such a thing in my web app and went to check it after I read the actual release notes. Sure enough, it works as expected.

This has nothing to do with generic scrolling of the browser.

Last edited:

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Well Macrumors ran an article about this yesterday and deleted it after they realized they misread the release notes and didn't know what they were talking about.

Safari Technology Preview was updated to support 120 Hz animations on SMOOTH SCROLL animation. Smooth is a specific attribute for scroll and it does not mean ALL scrolling.

Create an HTML button that calls scrollTo() function, and add smooth as property to the scroll, and you'll see it scroll at 120 fps. I have such a thing in my web app and went to check it after I read the actual release notes. Sure enough, it works as expected.

This is nothing to do with generic scrolling of the browser.

nice insights! Thanks for the update!

Reactions: Pro Apple Silicon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.