Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hey everyone,

On my iPhone I have text message forwarding set up, so that I receive SMS messages also on my MacBook Pro. This always worked in the past (although there was a delay sometimes). But today, I received another SMS and it still doesn't show up on my MacBook 3 hours later. Anyone knows who's the culprit and how to fix it? Is this an issue with my iPhone (doesn't forward it correctly) or with my Mac (doesn't fetch it correctly)? Thanks everyone in advance!

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Experiencing the exact same thing-- not sure what the rhyme or reason is (some are syncing/some are not). Please let me know if you find a fix.

Reactions: JungleNYC

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Check in the imessage app (on mac os at least, don't remember if that setting exists on ios) that your phone number is still selected, in addition to the apple id. I've had it unselect itself in the past, and then sms forwarding stopped but imessage continued to work.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
This is still happening across all my devices. Resetting didn't help. Neither did the recent beta update.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks for all of your answers! A quick update from my side: Everything is set up correctly settings-wise and it's also working again now. However, there's a delay SOMETIMES (like in the past as well). Interestingly, whenever I receive 2FA codes, the message appears IMMEDIATELY on my MacBook. It's just "normal" messages that are sometimes delayed. The whole system just seems to be flaky.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Check in the imessage app (on mac os at least, don't remember if that setting exists on ios) that your phone number is still selected, in addition to the apple id. I've had it unselect itself in the past, and then sms forwarding stopped but imessage continued to work.

There's also a list of which devices should receive your text messages (not imessages) somewhere in the messages settings on the phone that receives them. I bought a new laptop, it showed up in the devices list on the phone, but it was deselected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.