Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
When an iMessage has been successfully delivered, then if subsequently iMessage is disabled and we try to send a normal SMS message in the same conversation to those whom iMessage had been sent earlier, I get the error message that I need to enable iMessage.

We have to delete the whole conversation and create a new SMS thread afresh to that user/ recipient.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Why do you think it's a bug and not intentional? This is Apple.
If it is intentional, then it is a feature which cripples the user's options.
Why is the user bound to continue using only iMessage even when there might be situations of no data connectivity wherein the only option would be to use the network connectivity to send normal SMS.
Hence, Apple would do good if an option is provided to the user to choose iMessage or SMS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If it is intentional, then it is a feature which cripples the user's options.
Why is the user bound to continue using only iMessage even when there might be situations of no data connectivity wherein the only option would be to use the network connectivity to send normal SMS.
Hence, Apple would do good if an option is provided to the user to choose iMessage or SMS.
As a workaround you can try to send an iMessage and then once you send it tap on the message and hold it (long press) and that should give you the option to send it as SMS. There's also a setting to enable sending via SMS automatically if iMessage fails.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
As a workaround you can try to send an iMessage and then once you send it tap on the message and hold it (long press) and that should give you the option to send it as SMS. There's also a setting to enable sending via SMS automatically if iMessage fails.
And I believe if you do this a few times it’ll default to sending as sms.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Agreed.
The only problem is that I want to revert to SMS only in case of loss of data connectivity causing failure of iMessage while SMS remains active. This situation is not known before hand, hence it is not possible to plan when to switch over to SMS rather than iMessage in a particular conversation thread. Moreover, an iMessage that has been sent long ago, does not give option of Send as SMS upon long press. In this situation I am not able to Send an iMessage again as SMS.
As a result of this, when data connectivity actually is lost, then I am neither able to send and SMS not iMessage.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed.
The only problem is that I want to revert to SMS only in case of loss of data connectivity causing failure of iMessage while SMS remains active. This situation is not known before hand, hence it is not possible to plan when to switch over to SMS rather than iMessage in a particular conversation thread. Moreover, an iMessage that has been sent long ago, does not give option of Send as SMS upon long press. In this situation I am not able to Send an iMessage again as SMS.
As a result of this, when data connectivity actually is lost, then I am neither able to send and SMS not iMessage.
Strange. The send as SMS setting is basically there for those types of situations where connectivity isn't present and iMessages can't be sent so it sends the message as SMS instead after a few minutes or so.

As far as doing it manually by long pressing, usually if the option isn't there that means that the message was actually already sent (and thus doesn't need to be sent as SMS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.