Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
SMS Messages (Green Bubbles) opened or made “Read" status on iPhone remains "unread" on MacBook syncing on same iCloud ID.

Observed behaviour:
SMS received on iPhone are forwarded to MacBook. If the new messages are opened and read on the iPhone , their status on MacBook are also expected to become “read”. But this does not happen. The status of such messages opened on iPhone remains as "unread" on the MacBook instead of getting changed to "read" in sync with iPhone.
This issue remains unresolved even after logging out from iCloud and then Again logging in on both devices, restart of both devices, etc. All devices remains connected to internet throughout.
This occurs on all SMS (Green Bubbles) Text messages.
Anyone else?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
SMS have no receipts that determine if they are read or not. Sometimes I do notice that iOS puts a “read” tag, usually after a cloud sync or restore. I think it’s a glitch, so there is nothing to sync in that regard.

Updated thought. Are you talking about the blue dots? If that, check if iCloud messages is on, on all devices.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I am referring to green bubbles for SMS messages, not blue bubbles for iMessages.
I recollect that the syncing I am referring to about SMS messages becoming "Read" across devices, used to happen in previous versions of iOS.
It is also seen that an SMS message opened on the MacBook becomes read on iPhone after syncing. So if the syncing can happen from MacBook to iPhone, it should also happen from iPhone to MacBook.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
What do you mean by read? The little blue dots (not iMessage blue bubble) of an unread message or the word “read”.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What do you mean by read? The little blue dots (not iMessage blue bubble) of an unread message or the word “read”.
By unread I mean the little blue dot which shows to the left of any newly received message (both iMessage or SMS) in the list of messages showing in Messages app. When you tap on the newly received SMS/ iMessage to view it, the little blue dot showing on the left side vanishes and that message while showing in the list of messages does not have any blue dot. So that message which does not have a little blue dot on the left side in the list of messages is treated as "Read", while that message which has a little blue dot in treated as "Unread".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.