Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
I don't know if it's just me but whenever I use Snapchat (mainly since the 11.2.2) upgrade on my iPhone 7 my phone seems to get warm (not hot) relatively quickly. The battery also drains pretty fast too when I'm using Snapchat but it doesn't do that with any other apps. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but it still does it. Anyone else?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I don't know if it's just me but whenever I use Snapchat (mainly since the 11.2.2) upgrade on my iPhone 7 my phone seems to get warm (not hot) relatively quickly. The battery also drains pretty fast too when I'm using Snapchat but it doesn't do that with any other apps. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but it still does it. Anyone else?
Snapchat apparently keeps the camera open at all times. The camera uses a ton of battery and causes the phone to heat up. My co worker is on Snapchat all day on his 7+ and he had to buy a portable battery so it wouldn't die on him. That's just part of Snapchat.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Snapchat apparently keeps the camera open at all times. The camera uses a ton of battery and causes the phone to heat up. My co worker is on Snapchat all day on his 7+ and he had to buy a portable battery so it wouldn't die on him. That's just part of Snapchat.

WHAT!! i didnt know the camera is always running that's insane well that makes sense to why my phone randomly warms up out of no where then lmao it's literally brand new.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
WHAT!! i didnt know the camera is always running that's insane well that makes sense to why my phone randomly warms up out of no where then lmao it's literally brand new.
That's what I've been told. It's even worse on Android. I believe there are settings to limit the battery drain from Snapchat, but like I said I don't use the app.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
That's what I've been told. It's even worse on Android. I believe there are settings to limit the battery drain from Snapchat, but like I said I don't use the app.

Damn that's wild I was like wow okay is my 7 defective or something because when I'm texting or just doing random s.h!t it barely gets warm or drains but the second I open Snap my battery drops a % & the phone immediately gets warm.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Damn that's wild I was like wow okay is my 7 defective or something because when I'm texting or just doing random s.h!t it barely gets warm or drains but the second I open Snap my battery drops a % & the phone immediately gets warm.

Apparently putting it in something called travel mode can help. You can also not allow it to refresh in the background. This may defeat the purpose of the app, though.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Apparently putting it in something called travel mode can help. You can also not allow it to refresh in the background. This may defeat the purpose of the app, though.

I have travel mode on & my background refresh is always off but it's cool I'm just gonna assume my phone is fine and Snapchat is the culprit of my random issues:D.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I have travel mode on & my background refresh is always off but it's cool I'm just gonna assume my phone is fine and Snapchat is the culprit of my random issues:D.
Snapchat, Facebook and Pokemon go are battery killers. Just need to accept it. Your phone is cool.

Reactions: infinitejest

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Snapchat, Facebook and Pokemon go are battery killers. Just need to accept it. Your phone is cool.
Thanks dude makes me feel a lot better tbh. Just went thru about 5 iPhone 8's and they were all, I wouldn't say defective but they each had their own ridiculous issues. Decided to get a 7 instead & other than this current issue it seems perfect so far.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks dude makes me feel a lot better tbh. Just went thru about 5 iPhone 8's and they were all, I wouldn't say defective but they each had their own ridiculous issues. Decided to get a 7 instead & other than this current issue it seems perfect so far.
The best thing you can buy is an official apple smart battery case. It feels so good in the hand. The only problem is it's $99 msrp. I'd like one for my 8 plus, but they don't make them for plus phones. Assuming you wish you had more battery life, that is. You could snap all day, ha.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
The best thing you can buy is an official apple smart battery case. It feels so good in the hand. The only problem is it's $99 msrp. I'd like one for my 8 plus, but they don't make them for plus phones. Assuming you wish you had more battery life, that is. You could snap all day, ha.

That's actually a really good idea I was thinking about getting one since I have some leftover money from returning my 8(s) lmao. Would I be able to use one of those scorshe magnets for the car on the back of the case? Or would that affect the battery.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
That's actually a really good idea I was thinking about getting one since I have some leftover money from returning my 8(s) lmao. Would I be able to use one of those scorshe magnets for the car on the back of the case? Or would that affect the battery.
Couldn't tell you, but my friend has a 7 and the smart battery is a lifesaver for him. It makes the phone much easier to hold. Charge times are excessive on all iPhones, so a battery case is a must for a heavy user.

armokid77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Couldn't tell you, but my friend has a 7 and the smart battery is a lifesaver for him. It makes the phone much easier to hold. Charge times are excessive on all iPhones, so a battery case is a must for a heavy user.

Not a bad idea I'm definitely gonna look into that thanks! What phone do you have?

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Snapchat has always been a battery waster on all devices. It’s “normal” and nothing new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.