Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
early signs are showing some massive gains in at least benchmark performances.

Vivo 90 pro plus are showing benchmarks of

I know benchmarks aren't everything but these are very close to what apple can produce. 2023 could be a break through for android in terms of efficiency, battery life and overall power.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I know benchmarks aren't everything but these are very close to what apple can produce. 2023 could be a break through for android in terms of efficiency, battery life and overall power.
Basically thanks to TMSC 4nm. Previous gens of Snapdragons suffered because they used Samsung fabs. So at least one Apple advantage is no more. Now it remains who has the better cores. Apple is still leading, but I have a feeling Qualcomm will be catching up once they have their custom cores from Nuvia implemented.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Super excited to see this chip in action. Seems like a pretty major uplift.

I have an s22 plus with 8 Gen 1 on Samsung fab process and it is a good chip but efficiency is not it's strong point and multi core performance at least on benchmarks is disappointing although my s22 plus is plenty fast.

I am hoping for good trade in value from Samsung and definitely plan on upgrading the phone next year.

Reactions: 5105973

crispingob

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
Basically thanks to TMSC 4nm. Previous gens of Snapdragons suffered because they used Samsung fabs. So at least one Apple advantage is no more. Now it remains who has the better cores. Apple is still leading, but I have a feeling Qualcomm will be catching up once they have their custom cores from Nuvia implemented.

No evidence to believe Qualcomm can ever catch Apple up. They are still several generations behind Apple chips in terms of performance and battery runtimes.

Reactions: MandiMac

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No evidence to believe Qualcomm can ever catch Apple up. They are still several generations behind Apple chips in terms of performance and battery runtimes.
This chip is said to be better than A16 in at least GPU I believe.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
That's because Qualcomm was using Samsung fab. Just switching to TSMC on the 8+ gen 1 already gave them quite a bit of improvement. At least now there's no fab advantage for Apple as both are using TSMC. Now it depends on the cores themselves. We'll see what Nuvia can bring with the Oryon cores.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So single core about 100 points off the A14, multicore about 100 points off the A16 - it must have a lot of cores?

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012

Huh, can you please define what these scores are? In Geekbench 5 it's still a ways off: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

And I'm not sure if Qualcomm chips are any more efficient, because the nm process isn't everything in this equation.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Huh, can you please define what these scores are? In Geekbench 5 it's still a ways off: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

And I'm not sure if Qualcomm chips are any more efficient, because the nm process isn't everything in this equation.

These are Geekbench.

Don’t forget the scores can increase as it’s on pre released software.

Here’s one for Xiaomi 13 for example

69e179e8dd6ad625259bfe447a1e0d43.png

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
These are Geekbench.

Don’t forget the scores can increase as it’s on pre released software.

Here’s one for Xiaomi 13 for example

69e179e8dd6ad625259bfe447a1e0d43.png
This is a huge improvement from 8 Gen 1 and it doesn't feel slow.

Google makes their Tensor chips and the Tensor G2 is considerably slower than the 8 Gen 1 and they won't release a new version until late next year.

So I think comparing to iPhone chips is a little bit tricky because obviously Google is optimizing for Tensor G2 to feel fast. So I would think for fast performance the Tensor G2 would be the baseline and anything faster is gravy.

I think the big question is can Qualcomm deliver that performance and at the same time better battery life and thermal performance. If they can do all three then this chip will be a huge success for them.

I am very excited to see it in action.

Benchmarks are important but they can be misleading. My s22 plus feels as fast as my iPhone 13 Pro max and I really don't notice any difference in speed and performance in daily use other than battery life and thermals which are much better on my iPhone.
ct year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.