Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I hope this belongs here and can stay here as this is my first thread creation here.

Anyways, it seems as though Adobe has sneaked in and auto Opt-in everyone who uses their "Creative Cloud". You can change it by going into your account settings and turning it off, and it appears that it pictures are being used to train their AI. I know many users here do not use Adobe, but I know there are some (myself included) that will quickly turn this off.

https://petapixel.com/2023/01/05/adobe-may-be-using-your-photos-to-train-its-ai/

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Where do you think any image AI app is trained? Read the marketing bs DXO and Topaz publish. Mountains of images, very likely yours and mine, very likely every time I run their apps. If you don’t embrace the model, don’t use the internet.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Where do you think any image AI app is trained? Read the marketing bs DXO and Topaz publish. Mountains of images, very likely yours and mine, very likely every time I run their apps. If you don’t embrace the model, don’t use the internet.
Oh I completely understand how AI is trained. Sorry if I wasn’t descriptive enough in my original post, but this was a very recent change the article I posted would have shown that also. Also, there was no notification to users or an updated terms or anything and I don’t recall seeing an email about a change and the article doesn’t mention one so this leads me to believe that Adobe has some clause in their terms which allows them to add some things without disclosure. I quite understand that many programs especially those that have any sort of AI built in uses photos, the difference and the point of my creation of this thread is just to bring awareness of this change and the ability to opt out. Many programs that have this option also let you know when you begin using their software

Reactions: arkitect and DaPhox

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
And a sincere thanks for the notice as I am a quite happy CC user. My motivation was some of the other posts.

Reactions: mollyc

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
While getting your stuff used for AI training is becoming a new norm, being opted-in by default on a new feature is a bit of a crummy move. Offer a prompt at least with the slider on by default when the feature goes live if you must. They didn’t make a big to-do about this because it probably would get opted-out too much. By now I’m sure they’ve mined millions and millions of photos for tuning, and people opting out now won’t hurt as much.

Reactions: arkitect

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
While getting your stuff used for AI training is becoming a new norm, being opted-in by default on a new feature is a bit of a crummy move. Offer a prompt at least with the slider on by default when the feature goes live if you must. They didn’t make a big to-do about this because it probably would get opted-out too much. By now I’m sure they’ve mined millions and millions of photos for tuning, and people opting out now won’t hurt as much.

I am now going to take even MORE pictures of my rabbits… Beige rabbits against a magnolia wall, sitting on an oatmeal carpet…. Object detect that one if you can…. :p

I am sure they scan any image they can consume from the internet. I don’t think copyright prevents unsupervised deep learning does it?

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I am now going to take even MORE pictures of my rabbits… Beige rabbits against a magnolia wall, sitting on an oatmeal carpet…. Object detect that one if you can…. :p

I am sure they scan any image they can consume from the internet. I don’t think copyright prevents unsupervised deep learning does it?
That is a really good question, I have seen articles that looks like there are struggles when it comes to AI related things. Specifically I know of AI generated art, but I could see this stretching into your question.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That is a really good question, I have seen articles that looks like there are struggles when it comes to AI related things. Specifically I know of AI generated art, but I could see this stretching into your question.
I suppose the question is at what stage does an AI analysis for the purposes of product development become commercial usage according to the law? The law regarding taking photos without the need for permission broadly speaking seems to be anything you can see from a public place has no claim on privacy. So is a google image search classed as a digital public place? And so anything found from a search i.e. publicly viewable has no claim to not being “seen”?

The AI picture generators are scary good aren’t they? There is a feed i follow on Instagram and it is painful as the guy doing it uses AI generators to create images that I can only wish I could get from my camera - kasper.wtf if you are interested.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
I wish there were alternatives as Adobe is such a garbage company. I keep trying to switch to Affinity's products every year and I always end up back with Adobe.

Reactions: Ray2

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I wish there were alternatives as Adobe is such a garbage company. I keep trying to switch to Affinity's products every year and I always end up back with Adobe.

I hear you but Adobe having done this is unfortunately not outwith the industry norm I fear.

Not quite the same but look at the whole cookies on websites mess and the ways they try to make it as confusing as possible to try and stop them tracking you. It is so annoying .

Have you seen that Affinity Photo has recently seen an update to version 2? It still lacks the cataloging features of Lightroom but maybe worth a fresh look. Also their licensing is now more flexible and you can bundle desktop and mobile licenses on one purchase - I a not connected to them in any way btw.

I would like to use it more too but I get confused with the workflow and end up back with what I know. Same as Capture One, it was a great tool but worked ever so slightly differently enough to make me run home to what I know.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I agree with you, of course there are alternatives to Adobe, but in my opinion and what I am used to I just cant break from them (just yet). I have tried other alternatives, but between lacking in cataloging or being good at that and lacking in editing capability majority (because of course I haven't used them all) just are not near the same level when it comes to the whole package. I also have really gotten into importing my photos into Classic and syncing and editing on the iPad pro and then marking any photo that needs a little more work so I can get back to in Classic and I love being able to do this as it doesn't keep me tethered to a computer through the whole process.

Capture One is getting there for me, but I hope that their pricing changes a bit especially to break into the more masses. Looking at it currently their pricing is $25 per month or an annual sub of $179 which isn't bad, but that is a lot upfront for not knowing what kind of updates you will be getting throughout the year, and the license of $300 which is really nice they have that option still and I think this isn't bad for those who want this since future updates get the upgrade at a discounted rate. The problem I have with it is even the $179 one is still $15 a month, but they charge an additional $5 for the iPad subscription so $25 a month compared to Adobes closest comparable one is $20 and you get 1TB of cloud and Photoshop. If you don't care so much about the cloud storage you can get both programs and 20gb of cloud for $9.99. If Capture One was more competitive with pricing I think they would be a more viable option, but with it costing more and the learning curve associated with switching it is a tough sell.

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
I don' t know how Adobe is at the moment. Maybe very good, maybe garbage. I've lived without it for a couple of years now (since their subscription model was introduced), and I can manage very well :)
Ow, and even without any cloud service :)

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I’m hooked. Simply based on DAM. Editors are a dime a dozen and I probably have a couple of dozen plugins installed. But thorough, efficient, stable and easy to use DAM is rare. Old Aperture had it. My couple years of experience with C1, up to v8, didn't.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Seems like the lawmakers have to catch up to what the software companies are doing, and enforce some better protection of our privacy. I mean it seems harmless they are scanning your images to help them collect data. But imagine that home reno contractor who installed a new front door, says after the fact they are allowed to enter your home afterwards because they installed the door and can browsed around. Nope. I know this is a silly example but why should software companies be allowed to exploit your personal access and others not, just because they provide you with software tools?

Reactions: kenoh

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I don' t know how Adobe is at the moment. Maybe very good, maybe garbage. I've lived without it for a couple of years now (since their subscription model was introduced), and I can manage very well :)
Ow, and even without any cloud service :)
Yes, I left Adobe when it stopped updating CS6. Before that I had been using the Student/Teacher CS5, then upgraded to CS6 losing money in the process. I prefer standalone apps in the iMac I use for photo editing. I am doing fine with DXO Photo Lab and the Nik apps. OneOne's Photo Raw 2023 is quite good, too.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I'm not sure this is a "default" thing at least possibly not in the UK. Mine is showing:

1675026322253.png

At no point was I asked to turn it on or have I turned it off.

Dutch60

macrumors regular
May 18, 2019
Yes, I left Adobe when it stopped updating CS6. Before that I had been using the Student/Teacher CS5, then upgraded to CS6 losing money in the process. I prefer standalone apps in the iMac I use for photo editing. I am doing fine with DXO Photo Lab and the Nik apps. OneOne's Photo Raw 2023 is quite good, too.
DXO PL (6 now) is also my photo software for all my images. Every now and then I go from PL to Affinity Photo….or another program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.