Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
You could try that, but i doubt Nintendo will make more.
Correction (source: Nintendo press releases).
So they shipped more SNES on launch day than they did of NES all last year.
More stock is coming regularly through the holiday season and into 2018.

Also, in summer 2018, the NES is coming back to stores for anyone interested in that model.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I finally got mine! So, I got a text message saying I could pick my Switch up at midnight (launch night). I thought “yes!” plus it’s a little adventure for the partner and myself. Anywho. It thought I lived on the other side of the country! I phoned that store via a secret phone number I found out (not publicly listed), they said they can ship it up to my nearest store next week. Cool! I thought! But them their Twitter support said that unless I pick(ed) it up on Sunday I would lose my order!

Noooo!

So now I’m confused. I couldn’t get through on the phone again. Then on Sunday I got a call from a withheld number saying I can pick one up at my nearest store the next day... but! It was only until midday, oddly enough. Our car broke down on the way to the store. Time was ticking. I called an Uber but they got lost on the motorway. It’s 11:45 and I’m still a ways away from the store. I tell the driver how urgent this is. The motorway is mostly empty. He picks up speed and zooms in the right direction towards my precious SNES. I get in with 5 mins to go. I got my SNES. Moments later I saw all the remaining stock (preorders?) get bundled into a truck. The guy doing the picking up says “they weren’t sold”. I still don’t understand what he meant by that.

But I have it :) and I got my adventure after all.

Reactions: Sensamic

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Also, in summer 2018, the NES is coming back to stores for anyone interested in that model.
I'm aware of that. They could say stuff but could create their narrative and say they will discontinue. Just like how they said thwy would being out more nes last year but ended up discontinued.

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Usa

I’m already bored with the SNES. I need more games

Really want the NES classic but that’s a lot wait

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I don’t think a mod is out yet and if it is it was PC only for the NES

I only have access to mac :(

Bootcamp to Windows 10 "unregistered" (free). Been using it on testbench budget PC and all you get is a message on the desktop saying it is unregistered - fully useable otherwise.

If you don't want to do that - just get a used office PC for around $30 and load Win 10 unregistered on that...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don’t think a mod is out yet and if it is it was PC only for the NES

I only have access to mac :(
From what I last heard, the Kernel has been dumped. But that was almost a week ago and these things move fast! Hang on I’m gonna check...

Ah. Very close to getting there! https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/10/07/snes-mini-classic-hacked-heres-how-to-add-more-games/ this chap has done it but I’d wait for something more solid. After all the NES Mini hack was terrible when that was first released. Give it time folks! I plan on modding mine to include just a few extra games that I think the SNES Mini missed out, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, R-Type 3.

But oh god I love mine. I’m playing through Mario World for the millionth time whilst I decide if I want to play Link to the Past to completion (for the first time) on my 3DS or this, or original hardware :D .

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
HAha. oops. I posted this in the Switch thread instead of here! Oh well.

HACKED.

5929FCB9-9FB4-4D87-A907-A5C0D398AC98.jpeg

Very easy to do if you know Hakchi. Download it, sometimes it comes with what’s called a DUMPED KERNEL. On the SNES Mini it’s about 2mb. This is basically the essence of the system. If it comes with one move it elsewhere so Hakchi will make a dump of your very own SNES Mini. Then you’re free to add games by dragging .SMC roms into the main window. Here you can also disable built in games. You could probably drag in non-SNES roms here too but I don’t know if this version of Hakchi includes what’s called RETROARCH; a universal emulator. If it does feel free to add in any game you want. If it supports it you’ll get an accompanying cartridge icon when the game is selected. This is where you can add your own box art - AND PLEASE DO as it looks nice.

Then you just click sync and follow the instructions.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I don't get hacking this...

Hackers are better off just building a Retropie box instead for more storage and more flexibility (more emulator options, built in bluetooth and wifi, network storage options, etc). The only advantage I see is SNESc comes with 1st party Nintendo wired controllers.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017

Hackers are better off just building a Retropie box instead for more storage and more flexibility (more emulator options, built in bluetooth and wifi, network storage options, etc). The only advantage I see is SNESc comes with 1st party Nintendo wired controllers.
Yeah, the controllers are a big perk. Also, I believe the OS features still work, like rewind, CRT filters, pixel perfect mode, restore points, etc.

Last edited:

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, the controllers are a big park. Also, I believe the OS features still work, like rewind, CRT filters, pixel perfect mode, restore points, etc.

If Nintendo's version of SNES emulator is better vs. Retroarch and the Nintendo emulator is preserved with this hack, that could be another advantage I suppose.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Nope. RetroPie stuff is much more difficult to get working right; it’s extra hassle. I own one and I much muuuuch prefer using my NES and SNES Mini’s. The NES one I’ve hacked to buggery and has SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, Game Gear, Gameboy, Atari [something]K, Commodore 64, and for a time N64 but I’ve removed that... all with lovely custom art on the folders. The SNES hack is minor and just to add games that I believe Nintendo missed off or ones I really like. It makes it perfect.

The winning feature is simplicity. You just plug the USB power cable into a PC, load up the app, and copy files across. It can download box art files for you and optionally arrange the games into folders automatically - or you can do it yourself if you want. It’s simple. You buy the box and it’s good to go right there and then - plus you get genuine Nintendo replica controllers which is so good (and they also work with the Wii and Wii U).

Oh! I also have a pretty comprehensive emulator setup on my computers. On my iCloud Drive I’ve got a folder with all my roms arranged nicely in folders, with a RetroArch .exe and .app letting me play on any computer I’m on with saves working too. I’ve got a range of BT and wired USB controllers. BUT. That’s the problem. I’ve made it as simple as I can but it’s still more complex than I’d like.

I think, and this is to all people recommending RetroPie above these systems, you’re overestimating the amount of people that want their entertainment to be complex. Folk like it easy. And for me, the storage limits of both systems forces me to put the games I want on it. There is a thing where when presented with too many games you can’t pick one to play (same with films too!). So I’ve just got my faves on it and some I’ve always wanted to try out. And even then there’s still a load of storage!

Sorry for the rambling. Hopefully people googling RetroPie vs SNES Mini will stumble onto this.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Had randomly looked while in stores since it released but never saw one. However I was in Target today and they had 4 in the case. I asked to get one out and they told me “no need” as they had another 4 at the register.

Got mine today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.