Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve had this for a while, purchased on a big sale (75% off) and finally cranked it up tonight. It’s based in Italy during WWII. It’s not a bad game, it has different ballistic settings. I picked relaxed ballistics and you get a aim adjustment when you hold your breath. What is unrealistic is that the bullets are instaneous. i don’t know if that is different on the realistic ballistic setting.

The first mission, you are dumped on an island with the mission of killing 4 high ranking Nazis. It’s interesting, but probably not that realistic to have “suppressed ammo” (not a silencer). I did not know such a thing existed. The A.I. is fairly easy and stupid, to make the situation survivable. ;) If you get close enough, you can take the enemy out with your knife. The missions have periodic auto-saves. So far so good. I’ll see how playability holds up for the long haul.

E648CF60-1700-40BF-A066-527F6AEE87E5.jpeg

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I've played a bit of that, it's included with Game Pass. I gave up on it pretty quickly because it's basically identical to all the previous versions. Not bad, but the main appeal is the x-ray animations when you kill somebody, and pretty soon you'll have watched them all. At the end of the day, there are only so many exploding gonads a person needs to see.

Also, the animation has no relation to the state of your enemy's corpse. Always been like this in Sniper Elite. You see a slow motion shot of somebody being catastrophically wounded, but when you get close to the corpse there's just a standard bullet mark that looks nothing like it. They had more realistic damage in Soldier of Fortune 20-odd years ago.

It doesn't sound like playing on easy level is much fun. The bullets definitely aren't meant to be instantaneous, and you're supposed to take your time and adjust for wind speed and stuff. That's the point of it, at least until you reach an indoor section and it turns into a standard third-person shooter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've played a bit of that, it's included with Game Pass. I gave up on it pretty quickly because it's basically identical to all the previous versions. Not bad, but the main appeal is the x-ray animations when you kill somebody, and pretty soon you'll have watched them all. At the end of the day, there are only so many exploding gonads a person needs to see.

Also, the animation has no relation to the state of your enemy's corpse. Always been like this in Sniper Elite. You see a slow motion shot of somebody being catastrophically wounded, but when you get close to the corpse there's just a standard bullet mark that looks nothing like it. They had more realistic damage in Soldier of Fortune 20-odd years ago.

It doesn't sound like playing on easy level is much fun. The bullets definitely aren't meant to be instantaneous, and you're supposed to take your time and adjust for wind speed and stuff. That's the point of it, at least until you reach an indoor section and it turns into a standard third-person shooter.
I could see how this could get repetitive. If you go with realistic ballistics are you given any guidance? The reason I think relaxed is instantsneous is because I’ve shot people running left to right or vice a versa, I lead them and when they get to my sites, I pull the trigger, and normally they go down.
The other thing that does not seem realistic is that you’d think after you shot a few people, alarms would go up all over. Instead, you kill a group and then move onto the next unsuspecting group.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I could see how this could get repetitive. If you go with realistic ballistics are you given any guidance? The reason I think relaxed is instantsneous is because I’ve shot people running left to right or vice a versa, I lead them and when they get to my sites, I pull the trigger, and normally they go down.
The other thing that does not seem realistic is that you’d think after you shot a few people, alarms would go up all over. Instead, you kill a group and then move onto the next unsuspecting group.
Give it a try! I think the higher you go up the difficulty settings, the more you have to rely on the marks in the scope to account for distance and wind.

If you want to just snipe for fun and not worry about realism, I'd suggest Hitman. Very different sort of game but it has a sniper mode where you try to rack up combo scores and trigger various events, you might like it.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.