Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
vert.john.allen.williams.jpg
The snipers have been caught. The ransom note demanding $10,000,000 to be deposited in a Jamaican bank account was traced. Former 42 year old Army soldier, John Allen Muhammad and his 17 year old step son, Lee Malvo - a Jamaican citizen, have been arrested at 3:30AM without incident.

Here is some info off of NBC:

"Sources say they have the killers."

Eyewitnesses have placed Muhammad's Chevy Caprice at the crime scence at the Home Depot where the FBI agent was killed.

A finger print of the 17 year old step son, Lee Malvo, matches a finger print on one of the ransom notes.

The case is breaking right now, but more details will come out today.

A caller to the FBI tip line had bragged that a Montgomery, Ala., shooting in September was tied to the sniper, and a fingerprint from Malvo was found near that scene. The city’s mayor said Thursday that the print was on a magazine about weapons.

A federal source told the Seattle Times that a friend of Muhammad’s and Malvo’s made the call, saying he “had suspicions” about the two.

The tipster reportedly said the two sometimes took target practice at the Tacoma home even though it is in the middle of a densely populated neighborhood.

The source added that the tipster said the two fired a rifle that uses .223-caliber bullets.

Background info: Muhammad served at the Fort Lewis Army Base in Tacoma Washington, home of the Army's elite sniper school. A Gulf War Veteran, sources say Muhammad sympathized with the 9/11 attacks, and witness said he shot his .223 rifle in the back yard for target practice. The ATF has already cut the tree and flown it back to the FBI crime lab in D.C. for bullet fragment tests. Other witnesses in Tacoma have said Muhammed was angry that he didn't make it into the sniper school at the Army base, and was religated to driving a truck in the Army.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/816566.asp

More background info here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021024/ap_on_re_us/sniper_muhammad_2
______________________________________________________________________________________________

No word yet if there is a terrorist link.

The only strange thing to me is where is that damn white box van?

A $10,000,000 trial is to good for these killers. I bet Johnny Cochran will defend!

Peter

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
innocent until proven guilty.

let's not make dangerous presumptions about a person's guilt or innocence.

;)

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by e-coli
innocent until proven guilty.

let's not make dangerous presumptions about a person's guilt or innocence.

;)
very good point e-coli.
But if these are the people responsible, then as much as I have been against the death-penalty system in the past, I hope they go to death row and never get a chance to make a penny off the lives that they took.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The evidence is mounting against them, and with the speed with which all the different facts were put together, I'm thinking that they found them. I certainly hope so - Halloween will be much better for having caught them.

I just can't wait to here the whole story - its amazing to see what different parts of the country the investigation led the police.

D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If given the death penalty there is a 100% chance they will never kill again. There killing spree continues to grow.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The scariest part is seeing how many different places these guys have killed. I'm sure now that they will have crossed the country leaving a trail of death - which only makes it easier for passing a sentence on them.

But even now, with things back to normal around here, its almos as if it didn't happen, which is terrible.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.