Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you still use Snow Leopard?

• Yes, still on it for all my Mac use

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Yes, on a different partition to use certain apps

• Yes, on another Mac

• No, but I would if my Mac supported it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have moved on

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
On my backup '06 MBP yes. Not that it gets much use though, but Lion was awful on that machine in comparison. With SL and an SSD, it is quite snappy and still holding on. Keeping it in case my '16 Macbook or my girlfriends '09 MBP dies unexpectedly.

The only major issue is lack of iCloud (It can't even access icloud.com!) and modern applications. But hey, it has Dropbox and iWork, so it gets by.. 8)

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
I still use it along with 10.11.6 once in a while. It's so amazing how fast and reliable this OS is, of course no security updates, but adding up a supported web browser like SeaMonkey or Waterfox and using ClamXav to scan certain stuff it's perfectly usable. :)

Reactions: logicstudiouser

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Nope. I find that Snow Leopard is actually noticeably slower on my 2008 MacBook compared to Mavericks, especially web browsing. It really shows that Apple optimised quite a bit in certain areas, even for older hardware. It is good for some PowerPC compatibility, but other than that I am not using it in any way.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
i still use it on my 2010 mbpro.

very smooth, totally stable, quite fast, and (sorry) i don't give a whit about "security concerns from running older versions of the os".

boots in 5 seconds flat from the time the apple appears to the finder from an older intel ssd. that's good enough for me!

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
i still use it on my 2010 mbpro.

very smooth, totally stable, quite fast, and (sorry) i don't give a whit about "security concerns from running older versions of the os".

boots in 5 seconds flat from the time the apple appears to the finder from an older intel ssd. that's good enough for me!
Amen.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
oldest running Mac is an '07 iMac in our guest bedroom and I have Yosemite on that and should probably put ElCap on and let it go.
I haven't been on SL since Lion was released. I don't stick with an older OS on anything unless I actually HAVE to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I only have one computer capable of running SL, and that's running Lion at the moment. Heck, that computer has been off and unused for about year anyways, so I'd say its not even something that is on my radar.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I only have one computer capable of running SL, and that's running Lion at the moment. Heck, that computer has been off and unused for about year anyways, so I'd say its not even something that is on my radar.

Still dual booting on a MacBook Pro 2010 and use it occasionally for a few programs I Still use and need. Have El Cap, Mavericks, Lion and SL on separate partitions, depending on the software need. My preferred OS on that laptop is surprisingly OS Lion. Runs great with 16 gb of Ram and a SSD. If using 32 bit programs still it is the best option. OS Lion is good if you boot to 32 bit. Best of both worlds. Snow Leopard still runs great if you still have the need.

These type of posts remind me still that some people still want just simple OS's and something that "just works" instead of all of the "bells and whistles".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.