Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfnutffr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I got my MacBook Pro in 2009. I finally purchased Snow Leopard so that I could upgrade. However, every time I try, it says that the disc won't work and needs to be cleaned. I've tried cleaning it, and it still isn't working. Other DVDs and CDs that I've tried work just fine.

I'm guessing the only solution to this is to get another copy? If that's the case, do you think Apple would send me another for free (I took the disc right out of the package and put it right into the CD drive--I'm positive I didn't scratch it)?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Did you purchase SL from Apple ? I'm surprised that it is still on sale given that Mavs is free.

Anyway if you purchased it from them I don't think it is any problem to get a replacement - with valid proof of purchase.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Check that your DVD drive is working OK.
A good test is to try a movie DVD. Should cause the DVD Player.app to automatically launch, and show the movie's menu screen, or may even begin showing the movie.
If a DVD movie also doesn't seem to mount or play - you can try a "can-o-air" from any store that sells office supplies, etc. Blow vigorously into the drive slot. That can sometimes help. You could also try a commercial DVD drive cleaning disc.
And, your internal drive may simply have failed, so you can also use an external DVD drive.

I got my MacBook Pro in 2009. I finally purchased Snow Leopard so that I could upgrade. However, every time I try, it says that the disc won't work and needs to be cleaned. I've tried cleaning it, and it still isn't working. Other DVDs and CDs that I've tried work just fine.

I'm guessing the only solution to this is to get another copy? If that's the case, do you think Apple would send me another for free (I took the disc right out of the package and put it right into the CD drive--I'm positive I didn't scratch it)?

Try what the other posts mentioned. Otherwise give Apple a call or stop by an Apple store with the machine and have them check it out. They are usually really good at exchanges if you get to that point.

Did you purchase SL from Apple ? I'm surprised that it is still on sale given that Mavs is free.

Anyway if you purchased it from them I don't think it is any problem to get a replacement - with valid proof of purchase.

Apple has an interesting and varied policy on old Retail and recovery OS disks....it seems as long as they have them in stock they will sell them - if you get a nice agent on the phone. People have still been able to get recovery disks for 9.2.2 and retail disks for Tiger up until very recently.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think they would, but ask them.

I just bought a Snow Leopard disc from Apple in January. (Worked fine) Some people (not me however) are holding on to SL because of Rosetta. Apple is serving its customers by bringing it back. It was unavailable for quite awhile.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
And, your internal drive may simply have failed, so you can also use an external DVD drive.

I second this. The CD drive on my Snow Leopard mini will no longer read the install disc. I have an external Firewire CD drive that reads it fine. Oddly, the internal drive will read other discs, so its possible that the manufacturing of the Snow Leopard disc was not up to snuff.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.