Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbubzie

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
Hey everyone just purchased a license to snow leopard server from apple and I have installed it on a 2010 Mac mini….weird question though spotlight is not indexing at all on the Mac mini so when you go to search in spotlight nothing comes up and same when you search in finder….I have added the root of my hard drive under privacy in the spotlight preference pane and removed it about a minute later to try to get it to rebuild and reindex but it does nothing….restarts dont fix it and verified in terminal processes for spotlight are allready active so my question is does apple disable spotlight on the host server and only give access to the client machines….now I went through hell and high water to install this as my Mac mini came with 10.6.4 and server dvd is only 10.6.3 so I installed server in a virtual machine(vmware fusion) I then updated the server vm to 10.6.8 and downloaded carbon copy cloner and created a blank image file using disk utility to clone the virtual drive to the dmg image created with disk utility so it could be dragged to the desktop of the actual host machine mounted and restore to an external drive to boot the Mac Mini carbon copy from the external hard drive to the main system hard drive…everything worked and booted fine and everything installs and is peachy but spotlight and indexing…also tried verify disk under first aid in disk utility and also repaired disk permissions everything passed. So I’m at a loss here any server peeps out there might be able to throw me in the right direction! Thanks!!’

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
See this link for disabling/enabling Spotlight:

You can also try Onyx. Parameters -> Spotlight. It has lots of other useful utilities too.

Or don't use Spotlight search at all (my preferred method) and switch to Find Any File.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.