Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonerrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Windsor, Ca
I am trying to solve a problem for my wife. She has a hard drive that is running Snow Leopard server and to make it a VM in Parallels 11.1 so that she can access the old programs using Rosetta. It seem to me to be a standard way to use Parallels and I have seen many posts here and in other places around this topic, but I have never seen a post about using a Snow Leopard server drive in a way that is like a "BootCamp" drive. I need it to be both separately bootable and run in a VM. This may not be the proper forum to post this, but I hope you can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Ray

stonerrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Windsor, Ca
No ideas yet? 2 bootable drives, 1 El Capitan, the other Snow Leopard. When booted into El Cap, using Parallels 11, to seamlessly access and work with older programs on the Snow Leopard server drive.
The members and lurkers of the MacRumors forums are some of the most knowledgeable people I know. I have high hopes that someone will have an answer to this problem. Again thanks for looking.

Ray

stonerrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Windsor, Ca
I got an answer from the Parallels forums that says Parallels can not work with a OS X disk in the same way it works with a Windows disk. In other words I can't keep the Snow Leopard Server disk bootable. Now I am looking to put 10.6.8 server on 1 disk and 10.11.3 on another Hd. My trial at this have, so far, not been successful. I just keep trying.

Thanks for watching

Ray

stonerrt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Windsor, Ca
Following others advise I have created a read/write image of the 10.6.8 Server disk. I next changed the .DMG to .hdd and during the parallels creation of the vm, made that Hard Drive 2. It seems to work except after I install Parallels tools and restart, everything freezes. Rinse and repeat with many variations, same result after the restart, the VM freezes. Oh well.
I keep on trying,

Ray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.